Thread: Strange Freezing Problem

Strange Freezing Problem

My cousin has an older P4 with an Nvidia 6600gt running Win7. It's been freezing up.

No Blue Screen; It just kinda hangs with the dektop/game/whatever he was doing on the screen, with no mouse or keyboard control.

CPU and GPU temps are fine. What's goin on here?

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Pull the video card and clean the air passages and clear the dust and junk out of the computer.
    Then test the computer? Does it lock up ?

Well I used that card in my rig for the last three months with no problems

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Well when I lived in the Seattle area, I had to clean out the computers every 3 weeks , because if I did not, I had the same problems that you are having. And I have found that a good cleaning took care of the possible heat problem so could check other things. Twice in the last 12 years, it was not a heat problem. It took a new video card to fix it both times for me.

The CPU and GPU temps are normal, but I'll take some canned air to it anyways and see if that helps...

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    I never believe those programs that give cpu and GPU temps. Seen them wrong just to many times. If you had used it a couple times a day for several weeks, I might think differently.

Blew it out, still no luck. The freezing continues....

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Next whci drivers are you using?

Did this start after you updated the video drivers per chance?

Using the latest recommended drivers. Drivers don't seem to effect the freezing

Check the caps on the motherboard and video card. If possible, check the PSU also.
    http://www.badcaps.net/

You might try swapping in a known good graphics card just to see if stability returns. If it does, then the graphics card has finally given up and he will need a new one. There are some Radeon HD 4xxx series cards available for the AGP interface. At least, there were. This is assuming the board is too old to support any proper spec of PCI express.

Now, if that doesn't return stability, you'll want to try a different power supply. If that returns stability, then any modern PSU should be an optimal replacement.

If that doesn't do it, then the hard drive may be going. It could be freezing up on some I/O. Another possibility is that if the hard drive is fine, the north bridge is burned out and under otherwise moderate I/O the NB is causing faults. This happened on a previous setup of mine.

Keep testing individual components until you run out of ideas.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)