Thread: Installing Windows 8 promo on same drive... How to set up?

Installing Windows 8 promo on same drive... How to set up?

OK.., I got the software to partition, shrink etc.. already. I'm inquiring here becasue my feeble brain is unsure of what option to choose in setting my promo edition of Windows 8 on my Windows 7 drive. I figure i want to allow like 100GB's for it and I have like 225GB's left on the drive free space.

I sure do not want to mees this drive up or my other drive bootup ,which has XP on that one. Thanks.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Guessing that the promo copy will expire and stop running at some point... You could run it from within a Virtual Machine with in Win 7.

Steve, Thanks for that info. I have never installed a virtual machine before but awhile ago I downloaded one of the more popular free ones and took some time to study things for first timers like myself in the help and contents section. It remined me that once again so many other uses for a computer and knowledge I have never learned.
    This can be useful for sure.

Can i ask if going ahead and using some of my current HD space by shrinking the drive or? etc.. I could always wipe that data couldn't i if i needed it in the future. Or... it really would not hurt me to use like a few GB's of that drive for even a promo copy. If and when they release the final or released version of Windows 8 I could then do the same?

I never use all of either drives space but one could always use another hard drive. possibly a external one, which is what i would get next for addtional needs or space. Thanks!
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

hi guys, I'm new here as I seeing your post Rabbitrunner51 about windows 8 promo version I realize its good to share you how I successfully installed windows 8 in my drive without cause any damage of your old OS.

Here's what i do
    1. create another partitioned ( i have partitioned 1= windows7 and partitioned2=windows8)
    2. installed windows 8 in partitioned2 (custom installed only)
    3 then later after previewing the latest installed OS which is window8 since its a promo has expiration on it
    4. so i decided to remove the windows8 goto windows7 disk management look for the partitioned where win8 installed then delete the volume then restart.. all done i use now my old OS

Thanks hayuds that helps alot. LOL RR51

I wouldn't do it, honestly. If all you want to do is test basic functionality a virtual machine is definitely the way to go.

Virtualbox did a pretty good job for me to test Windows 8. Just install it as usual there and install the guest additions, which includes graphics and audio drivers. Don't be fooled by Windows 8 having aero on right out of the gate as meaning it has the proper graphics drivers installed since it has a software renderer which can do Aero now.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)