Thread: DSL Speeds Drop

DSL Speeds Drop

In my area I only have the option of DSL or satellite. DSL is a lot less expensive.

In the past few month the connection speed has been dropping throughout the day. if I reboot my modem I get full speed for a while.

I have changed my modem. I have run a new cable from the DSL modem to the phone Demarc. The speed continues to drop.

What things can I check to try and determine if the problems is on my side of the demarc or if it is on the carrier side?
    -- Mathias

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Check your mains voltages. The modems will latch up if there is a drop in voltage and that is the reason my modems and routers are on a uninterruptable power supply.

Now a refrigerator, freezer, or air condition on the same house circuit can blow a computer, etc capacitors. Got the job of building new computers because of them.

Have you tried a different computer or a different adapter on the computer? Assuming there is no router, that's the only thing that you've not swapped out on your side of the demarc.
    When you swapped out the modem, did you replace it with an identical model, perhaps with identical issues? Is there a firmware update available for the modem?

Make sure you don't have software running on your PC in the background which might sap your connection if you haven't already. By rebooting your modem you might be causing a background process to timeout for a period and not download anything, and then have it resume its downloading later on.

A good scan for malware might be in order.

If you're certain its not an issue with the actions of unaccounted background processes, I'm betting the telecom for your area is doing work on the phone lines and its causing intermittent service problems on your end. DSL speeds shouldn't be inconsistent as the bandwidth you are allocated isn't shared with others. Unless, of course, you installed some electronics recently that could cause a significant amount of interference that you have not accounted for yet.

You might be able to check some stats from your modem about the connection between you and your area DSLAM. My modem has a section called transceiver statistics which lists some items like line attenuation, noise, transmit power, etc. Monitoring that throughout the day might help, too.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

Banned
    As you describe you are live in backward area. Some time lines drop the signals, You should contact to your internet service providing company. They can tell you the real situation and solution of the problem.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    06-15-2012 08:54 AM was the last post Klara26. Bet things are fine now.