Thread: Win 7 won't start - BSOD!

Unhappy Win 7 won't start - BSOD!

I've tried all the recommended tips. The BSOD message is
    'KERNEL_DATA_IN_PAGE_ERROR' No new h/ware or s/ware recently.BUT Firefox has been causing probs. Tip said remove all firefox or mozilla refs. from Registry - done - then reinstall firefox and once up go into start>programs> uninstall. Done but firefox still there and on restart BSOD and all the repair recommendations have been tried but don't work so here I am in the s..t once more.. Grrrrr!
    Anyone help please? Senior and older mmbers know that I'm pretty old but my marbles are still in place (I hope)
    Win 7 and all other software are legal installations and I can (I hope) move all my docs etc into another disc via DOS and then format and reinstall Win 7 but is there an easier way?

docusk
    Refurbished Computer.
    Gigabyte EP32-DS3L MOBO; 4Gb SDRAM; Intel EP8200 Core2Duo 2.6 CPU; HIPER PSU; Arctic Cool Freezer7Pro cooler; CD-R/RW; 2 X Western Digital 500 Gb SATA HDD plus Seagate 250 Gb HDD plus usual items. Windows 7 home premium.

all the repair recommendations have been tried but don't work
    So does that include a System Restore to a time when the system was working properly?

Can you boot to safe mode? If so, you can use this to look at the BSOD message and see what is causing it:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Hello again M K. I have tried returning to a restore point and it didn't work. I can get into safe mode but once in there's not a lot of leeway, reason I don't know.
    I just think I'd better try and move all my docs and other work once I get into DOS on to a spare disk and then re format the C:\ disc - which is a SATA - and completely reinstall win 7.
    I have checked this notebook to see if any malware/viruses and all is OK and once I get the C:\ set up I can get my other tuff in, tediuos though it may be.
    Does that sound like the actions of a beaten man? If so - it may well be.
    Bye pro tempore,

docusk
    Refurbished Computer.
    Gigabyte EP32-DS3L MOBO; 4Gb SDRAM; Intel EP8200 Core2Duo 2.6 CPU; HIPER PSU; Arctic Cool Freezer7Pro cooler; CD-R/RW; 2 X Western Digital 500 Gb SATA HDD plus Seagate 250 Gb HDD plus usual items. Windows 7 home premium.

Quote Originally Posted by docusk View Post
    I can get into safe mode but once in there's not a lot of leeway, reason I don't know.
    docusk
    I'm kind of confused by this statement. If you mean you are encountering intermittent performance issues or errors trying to access files, then you might have a hardware issue of some sort. Maybe even malware, like a rootkit.

Firefox should not be a cause for a BSOD. Those are raised by errors in drivers and other low level components. Perhaps it only provoked an existing issue. If you can get into safe mode and sustain it without another crash or BSOD, it is possible that the driver or hardware component having issues is not being utilized.

If you can, enter safe mode again. Open the start menu, and right click "Computer." Click Manage. From there, click on the "+" next to "Event Viewer", then the "+" next to "Windows Logs", and choose the "System" sub-category. A list of events should appear. Some will be information, some will be warnings, and some will be errors. Look through any recent errors and warnings and see if anything suspicious catches your eye. This would include the error event which describes the BSOD. It might mention the component which caused the error. You can double click on an event to get more information about it.

Hopefully this helps.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

Hi Rockinup. Tks for help.
    Once I get into DOS I can't move to other HD s or even find the folders with my work e.g. Publish and Worddocs which should be backed up in another disc. I'm trying system restore with all the points in turn but so far no joy. In desperation I may get another SATA disk or even an SSD though a bit pricey for me. Tht way I may even be able to get some of my data off the old C drive (500 Gb).
    I note what you say re. Mozilla but it certainly seemed to be fouling my PC and I still hadn't got it out when the BSOD arrived.
    Thanks for your input I'll print it out from one of my spares, probably this one - running XP. Why did I ever upgrade?!!!

docusk

stop press. Using restore point applet I'm told that my points are in HD drive 'H'/ Huh?? Says
    'referenced memory @ 0x5308d5fa. This memory could not be read.' BUT I just did a memory check and all was well. Odd eh?
    Last edited by docusk; 06-08-2012 at 05:26 AM.
    Refurbished Computer.

How did you do a memory check? Memtest86+?

Hi MK. Memtest 86? Wossat??? where will I find it? I used the applet that comes up via the Win 7 disc and it goes through all the memory.
    The problem has got worse in that my almost new Sony VAIO is displaying the same early symptoms and now and then this old XP does a hop skip and jump which scares me as I only have one old XP left in the cupboard and don't even know if that will work. I must have a jinx or it could be the router so I'm switching it off all night to see if it's that. I do have an old router if the high speed one is broken.

Woe is me, lads and lasses.

docusk. Good night all.
    Refurbished Computer.

I used the applet that comes up via the Win 7 disc and it goes through all the memory.
    I don't think that's a very thorough memory test. I've used Memtest86+ for a long time now.
    http://www.memtest.org/

Did you download UBCD before? It has memtest86+ plus hard drive diags and more.

http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/download.html

You need to know how to burn .iso files to cd properly also.
    http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/faq.html

While you're at it, you might want to run a hard drive diag. You need to know the make of your hard drive first, then run the manufacturer's diag.

KERNEL_DATA_IN_PAGE_ERROR means that Windows is having difficulty loading data from the pagefile into memory, either because the pagefile is corrupt or there is a problem with the RAM. Usually it is the former, and may be resolved by running CHKDSK /R at the command prompt.