Thread: Looking for suggestions for cooling a laptop.

Looking for suggestions for cooling a laptop.

I'm looking for really cheap inexpensive ways to cool off my laptop while I play games, it's been getting really hot lately even after cleaning it with a air can, the laptop is almost 3 yrs old runs great.

One question tho, can i replace the fan on the mobo in it?

Any ideas and suggestion please?

Laptop Spec
    HP Pavilion DV7 1183cl
    9800gt video card.

Can this laptop be modded?

Best Laptop Coolers – A Buyer’s Guide to the Top Laptop Coolers
    http://bestlaptopcooler.org/

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    I wouldn't take my own laptop to bits, unless I'd had lots of practice with other peoples first .... There's all sorts of clips & crimpy bits just waiting ready to get broken for the hell of it..... Some easy enough fixable..... Some just plain irritating & needing a bitta glue..... Or a lotta glue...... Pending what's what ...... Then there's the bits that just snap off completely & ya poor old lappy is toast...... Well in need of spares at any rate ....

Can you change the fan? .... Yeah, but don't unless its u/s.... In-fact don't take it to bits at all unless you have to ...... I'm not being snooty bout it all, its just that some lappys require a Phd in quantum physics to disassemble damage free ......

Two bitsa ply with 4x regular cooling fans shoved in-between with the necessary bits of block to keep it from all going floppy & a 12v Psu to plug it in, would work ..... Perhaps a resistor or two/four to keep the noise down might be good....... Ya don't want it turning into a hovercraft & slicing up the family joules now doo ya !

Failing all that ...... Buy some plastic usb pluggy in thingi's that Steevy mentioned

I'm going to agree with j.m on this one. Laptops aren't really built for modding, and they're a pain enough to take apart to swap one stock component for another as it is. Furthermore most laptop components are so custom that mixing and matching isn't really possible within the same chassis.

If I were you I'd just try finding a good cooling pad to put it on. It will help it vent better, and as long as you keep the internals cleaned up, keep to hard, flat surfaces for placing your laptop, and refrain from really long gaming stints you shouldn't have any problems.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Drill wire holes in the fridge & keep it there ? ...... No? ........ Just a suggestion ;0

Banned
    Laptop fan should be at side, Now in new designs fan adjust at lower back side and it is not the right place to cool the internal parts. Now keep some thing like book at lower side to keep it up from table surface. It is the best way to keep cool.

This thread is from a year ago. I think they got it sorted by now.

I'm going to believe the fact with j.m on this one. Notebooks aren't really designed for modding, and they're a discomfort enough to take apart to exchange one inventory element for another as it is. You can use a fan plate for this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by mark322 View Post
    I'm going to believe the fact with j.m on this one. Notebooks aren't really designed for modding, and they're a discomfort enough to take apart to exchange one inventory element for another as it is. You can use a fan plate for this purpose.
    Did you just poorly summarize what I wrote over a year ago?

Well at least you technically didn't necro the thread.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

A cool stand may be helpful.

As said above, cool stand would be helpful. But every laptop has this problem. What's your brand btw?http://www.sysopt.com/showthread.php?206604-Looking-for-suggestions-for-cooling-a-laptop.