Thread: Slow Laptop

Slow Laptop

Hi Every one, I have a Toshiba Statellite C600-234 and it is very slow. It had one gig of memory and I have put another gig in to bring it up to two Gig, but it is still very slow. I have also defaged it and run ace utilities to remove any junk files and also cleaned the registry. But still it is very slow. can any one help me with this problem.

Many thanks

Rover 45

I'm guessing that it appeared to be faster in the past??

What are the specs of the machine and which OS is it using?

Wouldn't hurt to run Malewarebytes on it since nasties are known to slow machines down.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Hi Steve sorry I am late getting back to you.. the spec is intel (R) Celeron 925@2.30 GHZ 2.29 GHZ CPU and a and is running Windows 7, 64 Bit

Regards Rover45

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Win 7 does a lot better with 4 GB of ram.

See what crucial UK has to say about the ram
    http://www.crucial.com/uk/
    You can use the system scanner

Have you cleaned out all of the temp folders?
    TFC (Temp File Cleaner) the program I use.
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files...r-by-oldtimer/

So far I have removed up to 7.3 GB max, of garbage from client computer which speeded them up.
    Once a week seems to be enough for all of them.

Download, install, update and do a full scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.

Thank you all so much for your help its been much appreciated. My computer is going a bit faster now. But as Train mentioned I think its down to low memory. I don't under stand why a high street store would sale a laptop with window 7 on with only 1 Gig of memory.

Many Thanks

Rover 45

Quote Originally Posted by Rover45 View Post

I don't under stand why a high street store would sale a laptop with window 7 on with only 1 Gig of memory.
    Money

You can watch out this video tutorial. I hope it will help you a lot.
    Video link, http://youtu.be/hOQ14IpacrE

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldreed48 View Post
    You can watch out this video tutorial. I hope it will help you a lot.
    Video link, http://youtu.be/hOQ14IpacrE
    Warning

Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended - by Broni, Malware Annihilator
    Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended for several reasons:
    • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.