Thread: Confused on Motherboard/CPU combo

Confused on Motherboard/CPU combo

A friend gave me a HP Media Center PC (Althon 64 X2 6000+) that was a week out of warranty, and every shop in town couldn't fix. I thought of getting a MB/CPU combo special for around $150, and I would have a nice computer.
    Here's where the problem comes in. I spent to much time looking at all the different ones I could get, now I'm overloaded with it. Plus I had mission creep.
    I start out with a nice combo, then for a little more I can get a better one, then that one had bad reviews, then another one was a little better but had DDR3 (this one has DDR2), so now I have to buy MB/CPU and RAM. Then the price went up, then I see a nice combo with HDMI, then I realized I am almost at the price I can get a whole computer with Win 7.

I thought I would use this forum to help calm down and get a more focused look and suggestions at an upgrade.
    Thank you,
    Chris.

You need to make certain any ol mobo will fit in the case..

The HP OS cd probably will not work in a non HP mobo so you'll also need a new OS...

I would try and only replace the mobo with another HP mobo... The odds of the cpu being bad are slim.

hmmm... the most cost efficient method is as Steve suggested.

otherwise it's cheaper to go with a whole new PC setup

you can have the Top of the line AMD CPU+Mobo+RAM for under $400 (not including OS)
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5