Thread: Real strange resolution problems-solved?

Real strange resolution problems-solved?

This is so wierd I don't quite know what to say.

Earlier I was playing a game favorite of mine Mass Effect 3 when suddenly in a flurry of me shooting and what not, my computer freezes, starts making real strange humming and all the rest ( like waht would happen in any number of problems within ), and so i have to shut the computer off,and restart.

Upon doing so, it brings up the lowest possible resolution and bit rate a sytem ccan have for display. I figured my drivers must have ethier got corrupted of took a dump. Whatever.

Now the fun begins. The res. is so low i cannot make out any bottom parts of final page install for driver and cannot change the display as it is blanked out ,even though it shows all modes. Like greyed out but unable to change. I also notice menu choices are the same in most areas,greyed out and unable to do anything.

My first thought is to go to AMD site, and download the drivers, which is I did but like I said the page that got to OK or next at bottom i could not get to. great!

Rebboted several times, and did safemode, which is useless beccause its limited in what one can do and only loads essentials. No IE get to.

rebooted and wwent into XP OS to check if video card was workin OK and it was.

Windows 7 troubleshooting was a lost cause. Also most areas of that greyed out.

Obvioulsy we have corruption here. TBH, for me i do not understand all this like most might. Never had this kind of thing happen this badly before.

MY video card and up to this point all drivers I've used , even this newest one worked like a charm.

To get to the point, i finally kept tinkeringwith the display resolution page menus, and even though the color setting was not happening, i went to drivers once again menu clicked 'switch to earlier driver and then I get FINALLY my normal desktop color and resoution. AMD control center would not work or show much in a 8bit rate color scheme. I guess that figures right.

I am hoping when I reboot at some point, it loads this setting OK and does not revert back.

Finally, in all of this I find my Sata connection,driver, and or DVD drive is not working, so reloading OS, loading MB disk drivers and anytihng else was now not an option.

If any Mod here wants to comment or give me some advice as to what to do the next time this happens I could use that. Tjhanks.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Look ups like that, in my experience , are due to over heating video cards. Need to clean it more often is my suggestion.

Next time do a shutdown, wait 30 seconds at least, then boot to F8 and select the Last Know Good option and let her boot up.

With spring plowing dust and junk in the air, east wind blowing garbage in you direction, i WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED if you need to clean that rig every 3 weeks. I had to do that when I lived in the Seattle - Tacoma area. Here 2X a years seems about right.

Train, yeah.., After all was back to normal one again, it came to me why I did not just choose F8 option. I always do for other things. Just got caught up in the moment I guess. Felt very panicky if ya kow what I mean.

As to my DVD burner issue which is just as imortqnt right now, I remember a month ago or so i wrote about the same issue with it not working , then all of a sudden if started to work.
    I wish I knew waht the problem is there. NO signs of it failing when used last. both power connector and sata cable hooked up properly from board. I am starting to bleive this board although a good one, has had some issues being consistent recognizing hardware. I wonder if since it is an older board, this newer OS has anything to do with it. Do I need any drivers not installed for it to work properly? I wonder. I'll keep tinkering with it and look up the MB sites downloads to check on. I have the install motherboard disk so?

As to the cleaning. I have cleaned it out a few times in the past couple of years. Honestly, i think it might just be the latest driver for. Might have some issues. Maybe Guru3D has some clues on them.

Thanks Train for responding. Goshi wish i had some more monies to buy backup hardware just in case this computer has real issues again. it runs perfect like most all the time. Want to save the monies i'm building up for the two upgrades I told ya about.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    I have had a couple burners get messed up like that. Ended up doing a clean install, but I am not dual booting either.

Backups, yes on other hdd o in my lan, data devds and USB hdds on and off site.

Open that case and check to see how clean the fan and the air passages on that video card are. Probably have to pull the card though.

Heck I have even had to under clock video cards so they would work right.

Train, the card is not the issue, although I appreciate the heads up on those things. I think the switch to open and or the drive went south. can't understand why though. I've had no issues with the boards sata connectors for both HD's, but it only has four sata connectors on it. Tomorrow i will try once again to change cable, cahnge sata connection to other one, and wahtever and see if anything happens. In 'Control Panel' under device manger it shows as working OK. Driver OK. I even installed the latest Motherboard Sata controller again and rebooted.

The switch to open tray is not even making any sound at all. Must be either dorment from this issue or just dead. Like i need to buy something else right now. Not vry much for a new burner anyways I guess. A must have so if it is bad after anything i'll try then i'll just gt another one. Very good drive though. Would buy this product line again regardless. probably the best drive i have had over the years.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Good luck, was down to dads and no internet there.