Thread: Weird errors and problems with Windows 7; gadgets, OCR software, game is missing, etc

Weird errors and problems with Windows 7; gadgets, OCR software, game is missing, etc

A friend of mine keeps getting these crazy errors. Sometimes (around every 5 or 6 times), when he opens an OCR app that he's been using for years, he'll get a message saying that he has to run it with administrative permissions when he "runs it the first time." The thing is, he's been using it hundreds of times per week.

Next error happened when he went to open his Texas Holdem game that he's also been using for years. Yesterday he went to open it and the exe file is gone. When he tries to reinstall it from the setup file, he gets the error that's attached to this post.

Also, when he tries loading a "Gadget" onto the desktop, it won't load. He tried everything including redownloading the gadgets that came with Win 7 and they still won't load. He just bought the system new a few months ago.

He said that he already tried using the registry fix for the Gadgets problem--deleting the ZONES folder in the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\

He might have deleted the folder that had a crazy name that was in the Zones folder, and not the entire Zones folder. Not sure. He also tried the BAT fix that also seemed to be a popular fix. No go.

I'm guessing this is a corrupt OS. It's not malware or a virus, is it? And do you think he can repair it via the Windows repair with the Windows 7 CD, or will he have to do a fresh install? I would say fresh install is better, but he is trying to avoid that (it will entail a lot of work). He doesn't have the Windows 7 CD. He had to order it from Dell since it didn't come with the computer.

Other suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images