Thread: new laptop

new laptop

ok, well, in the old days you got a computer with at leastt the restrore disks. aparently they dont do that anymore unless you want to give them more $$$ for a service plan to pay them more $$$ if you hoop your computer.

I have lots of external drives I could do a back on one but I dont know how to do this to include the os. would you not have to make it a bootable (iso) file

my new rig is win 7. I have xp and vista disks, so in the event of a catostrofic melt down Im sure I could recover. but since Ived paid foe a new rig with win 7 (o gee,s core 13 and I dont even know whaT THAT MEANS) I figure I should prbably back it up including the OS.

as always, your devine guidence is apreciated.

ward

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    What is the make and model of that laptop?

I have lots of external drives I could do a back on one but I dont know how to do this to include the os. would you not have to make it a bootable (iso) file
    Did you look for a restore media creator? It should have been one of the first popups when you started up the laptop.

midknite, they ofered to spark the thing up to "make it personel" but I opted out of that and all the extended warenty.

Train, acer7750-6600 I only picked it up cause my other top is an acer and it has servewd me well, it has many miles on it and a lot of bumps and bruises but is still pluging away, but its over 5 years old so I figured I should pick up a new one.

I was looking at the new HP sound unit but $1200 was a little more than i wanted to spend on a computer I realy only use in camp.

Acer has a built-in utility where you can burn the recovery disc from the restore partition. It should have prompted you when you first started Windows.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers...NC1jU2s%3D

I didnt look to hard but all I saw was mcafie on line back up.

what Im thinkin is I want a back up of the OS. i have prety much every thing that is special tp me backed up on several differant externals just to be supper safe lol but its true.

it has a back up files option, but as of yet all I have on it is a video/music player on it and a short cut to sysopt. mind you, its a 500 gig HD and thiers only 421 gigs avaliable so theirs 79 gigs of OS and other programs I probably dont even want.

what Im thinkin is I want a back up of the OS
    That's what the recovery media creator is for. It's to restore the system to out-of-the-box condition. Did you look at the link I posted or not?

HMM, silly me. should have read your link midknyte. thanks so much! she,s backed up and I will sleep well tonite. if ya lived in my hood the drinks would be on me.

ward

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    It seems all factory computers have a backup/restore system and I see Midknyte posted yours. And now you are fixed up nicely.

ya its all good. back in the day,( and maybe they still do) when you bought a new computer they gave you restore disks, that is to say they came with the disks. but in the past 6-7 years from what Ive seen, they dont do that any more. I have seen restore partitions but no disks. you could go to the manufacture web site and buy them, relativly cheaply considering the price of buying XP, vista or win 7 disks, and then theirs finding all the drivers for your spacific machine.

anyway Im just trying to say thanks to all the people that make sysopt what it is, for us close to computer iliterate folk that cant keep up to all the changes in the computer industry.

thanks all.

ward