Thread: Runs ok in safe mode

Runs ok in safe mode

I need to find the next step. It is a presario cq62-215dx running win 7 home premium 64bit. Whenever I start normally it will lock up in a few minutes. Start it in safe mode and it runs fine. I had windows run a couple of trouble shooters and I came up with super fetch not running and repair windows update components-not fixed. I don't know what components as that is not listed and I suspect super fetch has something to do with running safe mode, but I don't know. My next guess would be to restore to and earlier date and see what happens. There are several window updates listed there at around the time it started locking up, but that would be a shot in the dark right now. If you could suggest another course of action to try I would appreciate it.
    I am trying not to make
    the same mistake twice, again.

Did you run a hard drive diagnostic yet? I would do that first. If the drive passes, then try the system restore.

Windows reports the drive as healthy, I don't have any diagnostic software so I'll check around for some free stuff online, if anyone can recommend something that would be great. Thanks.
    I am trying not to make

You can download the diags from the hard drive manufacturer's site.

UBCD5 has almost all of them on one disc. Link is in my signature. You need to know how to burn .iso files to cd as well.

http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/faq.html

I ran the compaq hd diagnostic and it failed the "short dst" test. I don't know what that means, buy I figure it would be better if it passed. I'll be shopping for a new drive but what does the failure mean? Can I expect a complete failure soon? (Apparently it passed the smart tests as windows reports the drive as healthy.) Thanks again for the help.
    I am trying not to make

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    From what I found about the short dst failure, I would keep that rig shutdown until I had my replacement hdd ready. Will not be long before it will not even boot up.

If you can still access Windows, I would strongly recommend backing-up all your personal files etc as soon as possible.

If it fails the short test, then replace the drive.

I have the new drive, I'll put it in his weekend. Thanks again for the help.
    I am trying not to make