Thread: How can I access my other hard drive with different OS

How can I access my other hard drive with different OS

Already tried to do this the right way but as shown below my just installed Windows 7 disk is label different and that has osmething to do with it. I had opted to install my motherboard Sata 2 drivers as an option and read that might have something ot do with it also.

Both drives do show in bios, but boot order only shows Ist boot and second boot ,one for CD/DVD and the other for my XP drive.

Right click and I get 'cannot access drive' error message. NO options listed for showing volume or other option.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Check the drives in disk management.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

You can format that drive from there too.

Win 7 does have SATA drivers so no need to F6 them in.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_10.htm

While the info you gave is of some use I do not think that helps a great deal,considering it only applies to a XP OS while i am trying to access the C drive ( XP ). Says as mcuh in small print on top of page.

Earlier, I went into the settings for the disk mangament listed on the right pane, and found some more menus pertaining to how a drive is labeled etc.. and other.

I kept looking at th two drives and notice BOTH are listed as Primary partitons. This should only apply to the XP drive I believe since it is th main boot sector partition.

The link above shows just about evrything there is ( great info and charts ) and have yet to read and or understand all that. Not sure i would. maybe this page as related to my issue can further clarify for you what i need to do or change.

I guess when one installs an OS, then the first thing is to configure just how a volume is formated? or did I miss something. I'm sure I did everything the same. NO choices really, just installed Windows 7 from a folder expanded on my XP drive. Possibly, in the Win. 7 install page I missed how the volume was to be formated, installed or wahtever. Maybe one has to do that late on.

Previous installaton, same method and right off i could see both volumes and had no such issues like this.

Also if for some reason all of this is mute, then possibly a security thing as I also went into all that and know access rules can be restricted. Searched alot of whatever i could as admin, in OS and other. Don't know. Nothing worked.

Intuition tells me its in the volumes, how labeled or formated and disk converting as listed by that page or the OS's. Whew! got all that? I am a pain... I know. Hows your day?
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 01-29-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Not a bad day at all.

Raining, 46 F, snow is gone and not the -57F my cousin has in Fairbanks. YAHOOO!!!

I guess when one installs an OS, then the first thing is to configure just how a volume is formatted?
    True but with win7 and of coarse Vista, to kick in the format business, you have to remove and then remake the partition. That also works in XP. All three have a install page that looks like.

This is where you remove the partition, follow the prompts and remake the partition that leads to the clean install on a newly formatted partition.

Got that, but would this lead to one being able to read the other Hard drive with a different OS? I remember each time I go to do a reformat in XP most often i do see the small amount of used for the previous OS install sitll there like is shown above.

I have done a clean install before, and now wonder if I just re-installed windows XP without doing just that this past time around. Sometimes i just format without doing a totally clean install, thus leaving the previous OS needed left on it like you show here. Maybe that is why windows 7 cannot read it from that OS?

Some day i will finally figure all this out and understand it all. I do understand it mostly but like alot of those out there, I fly by the seat of the pants often, without trully learning and understanding all.

Lets face it. MOre then we all know, computer stuff is far too complicated for any common person. The coding and all that goes into it all ,seems to surface when one comes across some little issue by accident or just messes thigns up so bad,nothing can be done.

Lucky for me, i am very analytical in nature. I did above average in school. I wsn't a wiz, but I was like the top third in math and english.Eventually i will get it. ADD is some issue at times for me, but its more taking the time to learn and understand. We all want quick solutions. Just the nature of us computer users.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Format does mark everything for overwritting and will be sooner or later, so no residue.
    Now if you want to get it back to factory, then you use something like DBAN and zero write the hdd from end to end.

But when you format the drive there is a 10 MB partition made for the boot stuff to go into.

That sounds good. Sorry about my dissertatons. I get carried away sometimes. it ws just strange that I did everyting as i did before and expected it all to work the same. It does other then being able to read that drive.

What is odd is.., in XP I can read my other drive ( Windows 7 ) and even transfer stuff over to that if need be. Since that works, there is really no need for me to go through all this I guess. TBH, if not for one lousy game or some other I can live without, I could do without that OS altogether. I will do just that some time in the distant future. Thanks as always Train for the help and being there. Credos my friend.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Take Ownership from Win 7, of the drive.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc753659.aspx

Train, After you read this write me back OK? Not sure if i emember reading this link you gave above but i think its the same link i just go onto... Below is a few JPG images hsowing what I have now. Being new to this and still somewhat confused, I went through all the process as outlined >> final step; security tab>> edit>> and just typed my name. I don't know what to typpe but looked at the example and i think it was fine as now I finally CAN see my hard drive contents in the C:/ drive but obviously i have one more listing then is needed there.

What can or should i do now? Should i just delete the others or the one previous ( listed ) on menu screen ? I should only be showibng one C:/ drive i know but now i have one right next too the other. What a mess i am huh?

At least i can access the drive now regardless. obviously i want it to all be intact and OK as it should be, in system and computer management.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    You look good now and as it works, you know you have it right.

Anytime you add a hdd ot a OS after a clean install we have to do things like you just did.

THanks train. I guess having more then one name in the properties for security is not an issue I take it? No worries mate. It works and thats the main thing.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Never mind what mine looks like. Just think bunches more. LOL

Train, check out my post in Gen. tech. about my new case fans..etc. Sure love the fans and temps.

Just for the record: I think i will not be able to upgrade my computer with new CPU and higher end memory till about June of this year. Going for a AMD Phenom 2 960T, which lists for about $118.00 or so now. That along with DDR3 1333 sticks (2) at 4GB. ( about $148.00 total cost )
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 02-04-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Sounds good.