Thread: Windows 7, Vista and XP network printing

Windows 7, Vista and XP network printing

I have 1 Windows 7 laptop, 1 Vista laptop, 2 XP laptops and 2 XP desktops on the home network. The desktops are wired, the rest wireless. I want to share a printer connected to the XP desktop with all computers. The XP computers can print with no issues. The 7 and the Vista can't see the XP desktop to add the printer. I tried many things with the desktop to no avail and now have a clean install of XP on it, still no luck. I can ping the XP machines from the 7 but they do not show up on the 7 or Vista. I even tried putting the 7 on a office network with no luck. In my internet research, I see this is a common problem. I would really like to resolve this as it's a hassle to move documents for printing. I have kids that need to print various things for school. In the past I have had very good luck resolving my issues here and I hope the success string continues. Thanks to all in advance.

Are all machines a part of the same workgroup?

Do all machines require a username/password to login to? If not - try enabling that.

I added password on the 7 and the XP that has the printer attached , no help.

The XP machines are MSHOME. I have tried the 7 computer in homegroup and workgroup with no success.

One of the XP laptops (with a fresh XP install also) can't see the XP desktop with printer attached.

Not sure how to proceed, that's why I put fresh XP installs on the desktop and wireless laptop.

Lifetime Friend of Staff

Have you shared the printer? Have you added the printer the system that is trying to use the shared printer?

What happens when you try to connect to \\<computer name>\printer share name>?

Yes the printer is shared along with the C drive. I am following the links above without complete success. I have been able to see computers now and then depending on different settings. I'll post more when I have something concrete...

The 7 and the Vista can't see the XP desktop to add the printer.
    You should only use workgroups if you have non-win7 systems.

do you have any firewalls on the printer host system?

Can you ping the IP of the printer host? did you try \\IP\printersharename?

I changed the XP boxes from mshome to workgroup and rebooted, no help. All XP machines can see each other. Following the links from above didn't help, the XP boxes didn't show up on the 7 machine.
    No firewalls other than the windows built in. I can ping the XP box that has the printer attached.
    Last edited by snow-ice-mn; 01-22-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Could my router config be an issue?

I changed the XP boxes from mshome to workgroup and rebooted,
    As long as the workgroup name is the same on all systems, it could be whatever you want.

I can ping the XP box that has the printer attached.
    If you can ping the XP printer box from a win7 system, then the \\IP\printersharename should work.

Did you do something to your router? If you're using plain DHCP, then it should be ok. I usually use static IPs on file/print servers, but it's not absolutely required.

Did you enable simple file sharing on the printer host? I don't see where you said XP Home or Pro.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

After ensuring that all computers belong to the "WORKGROUP" workgroup, open Network and Sharing Center on your Win7 machines and ensure that your Local Area networks are set as "Work network". You only use Homegroup if all machines on the network are Win7. Then open "Change advanced sharing settings" and ensure that you have turned on Network discovery, turned on File and Printer sharing, and turned off Password protected sharing.

Sharing an XP printer with a Win 7 machine is a common problem that is quickly resolved by adding it as a local printer, connected through a UNC path from the Win 7 machine.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/network-s...c-win-7-a.html

One of the XP laptops (with a fresh XP install also) can't see the XP desktop with printer attached.