Thread: Video Card Drivers and Hardware

Video Card Drivers and Hardware

I'll try to get this right, and get everything in, but I'm sure I'll forget something, so ask questions and prompt me for information.

System=Motherboard is a Gigabyte 7ZXE 1.x. There are various hard drive, though I don't think they enter into the problem. This is a dualboot system, Windows 2000 and XP/MCE. See a previous thread about the dual boot aspect. Previous Thread

I have a new monitor (Thank you, Santa), a Samsung SyncMaster SA300. I have it fully set up under W2K, drivers, resolution, ..., and it runs well. I have tried to set it up under XP, and it's a no go.

When I try to install the monitor's XP drivers, from within XP, the system tells me it cannot do that because I have no video card installed. There is, however, a video card, an EVGA/NVidia GeForce 6200. Belarc for W2K recognizes the card. BUT, Belarc for XP says, "None detected" in the display/video card section. XP must be running under a generic MS Driver.

So, I said to myself, "Self, you need to install video drivers for XP, so that XP will recognize the card." I popped in the EVGA cd, and ran the driver installation. The message came back and said "not compatible with existing hardware" or something very similar.

I don't understand. The hardware is the same, whether the system is running W2K or XP. What am I doing wrong? What have I missed?

If I'm going to slowly migrate from W2K to XP, I need to have XP running well first. What should I be doing?

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Well those on the cd are usually old drivers.
    Try the detect mode at
    http://www.geforce.com/Drivers

Yes, it is using the nvidia drivers in XP, but if you get the latest and greatest from Nvidia, you can have a worst situation.

Since that is a socket A mobo and a old card, the
    ForceWare 190.64 Windows XP (32-bit)
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=10

Might do the trick.

Thank you, sir, for your quick reply. A couple questions before I proceed.

The video driver I'm running under W2K is 6.14.10.9424, a variation of NVidia's 94.24. Will installation of 190.64 under XP have any affect on W2K? That is, will the XP driver in any way affect the W2K driver? Or are they mutually exclusive, neither crossing the line into the other OS?

Since XP has no video driver installed, and is apparently running under a generic MS video driver, there is no video driver to uninstall. My procedure would be to simply download the 190.64 driver to a download file area, and run the driver file by double clicking it. Am I correct in that procedure?

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    When you dual boot like that, there is no danger of drivers crossing over.

My procedure would be to simply download the 190.64 driver to a download file area, and run the driver file by double clicking it. Am I correct in that procedure?
    That is correct. But should it not work 100%, the remove it and get a older one.
    When you do find one that works, burn it to cd against future need. Yes, this a trail and error method to find the right driver, but is the only option available.

Not working yet. I tried 190.64. It does everything but install. Ultimately I get the NVidia Windows Software--Installation Wizard telling me, "The NVidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware."

I got this message with 190.64, and with 93.71-Forceware_Winxp2k...

Am I doing something wrong? Is my system doing something wrong? Or am I just expecting too much from this old system?

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Try one in the 80.s for Winxp2k.

And just may end up living with the windows drivers too.

Still nothing. I've tried: 190.64, 93.71, 178.15, 84.56, 29.17, 78.03, 78.01, 275.33. All of then say they're not compatible with the current hardware.

I think, though, that I have a clue. I have the NVidia Control Panel installed, supposedly. But when I click on the icon, in XP, I get a popup window which says, "NVidia display settings are not available. An NVidia graphics card was not detected in your system."

So, XP cannot find the NVidia card. W2K has no trouble with the NVidia card, finds it and has a driver for it. If XP can't find the NVidia card I can begin to understand why it might be relunctant to install a driver.

It's all in the same tower, with the same video card inside. Why can't XP see that card? Could there be something in the BIOS preventing it? I just don't know. Anyone have any thoughts?

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Did you install the VIA 4 in 1 driver?
    Under the downloads tab.
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=2307#dl

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Did you install the VIA 4 in 1 driver?
    Under the downloads tab.
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=2307#dl
    I feel so stupid. I totally overlooked the 4 in 1 driver, the exact thing which gave me so much trouble in the past. I had so much trouble with it on W2K, and it never dawned on me that I would have to reinstall it under XP.

As soon as the 4 in 1 driver was installed everything else fall right in line. I may upgrade the video driver, but not right now. Everything works as it should.

Thank you, sir, for you kind and ongoing help.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Yes each time we do a clean install we need to install the motherboard drivers.

Suggest you burn them to cds against future usage and save the disk with your OS cd.