Thread: Cannot access one specific site from one specific browser

Cannot access one specific site from one specific browser

Hello, I have a minor problem accessing a website from my work PC and I would like to ask how I can resolve it.

I run Windows 2000 (I know...) and I use both Internet Explorer 6.0 and Firefox 9.0 to access websites. I can visit any website, except gmail.com via Firefox! When I try to access gmail.com from Firefox, I get the error message
    "The connection has timed out. The server at accounts.google.com is taking too long to respond. The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments."

gmail.com via IE 6.0 works fine. Any other website works fine in both browsers.
    The problem appeared out of the blue 3 days ago and it persists since then. There were no changes to the PC that I know of, that day.
    No other PC in out LAN has this problem, but they all run Windows XP.

My PC gets internet through the company's LAN, and we use a proxy. Proxy settings are set in Control Panel->Internet Settings, so they are the same for all browsers.

What I have tried until now:
    * Restarting the PC, clearing the cache, running ipconfig /flushdns.
    * Uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox 8, 9 and 10.
    * Tried other browsers (Opera 10, Chrome) and they access gmail.com without problems.
    * Made sure all browsers use the same network proxy
    * Tried accessing gmail through other URL's like https://mail.google.com/ , ttp://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=html , http://m.gmail.com
    All the above failed: firefox (8, 9, 10) stll cannot access gmail, all other broswers still can access it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Michael.
    Question Everything

@Steve R Jones: Same error message. Thank you for your time.
    Question Everything

I have found the solution-. I created a new profile in firefox and It worked, I could visit gmail.com! So it must have been something in the default profile folder.

I uninstalled firefox, deleted the mozilla firefox profile folder in "documents and setting\user", re-installed firefox and now everything works.
    Question Everything

Interesting. Glad you got it sorted...