Thread: Removing Duplicates

Removing Duplicates

My PC is slowing down again (of course idiot; you keep downloading rubbish!) and I used to have a dupe remover prog. That's gone!
    At present,all I seemto get by surfing are expensive or flops.
    Has anyone had any experience of a good one, reliable either cheapo or - even better - FREE? Images and word files seem to be my worst hedache but now I seem to be doubling up (my own stupidity) on E-books.
    All advice gratefully received.
    docusk
    Refurbished Computer.
    Gigabyte EP32-DS3L MOBO; 4Gb SDRAM; Intel EP8200 Core2Duo 2.6 CPU; HIPER PSU; Arctic Cool Freezer7Pro cooler; CD-R/RW; 2 X Western Digital 500 Gb SATA HDD plus Seagate 250 Gb HDD plus usual items. Windows 7 home premium.

I don't usually let apps delete my files automatically. There is the risk of deleting files you wanted to keep.

You might want to look into syncing the folders/files. You can update your main folder first, then delete the other/extra folders.

http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/toucan
    http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html

It would be helpful if you said what apps you've already tried.

Thanks Midknyte.
    I'll check out how to undertake Synching. My brain is getting full of cotton wool these days but I have a manual.
    I have tried easyduplicatefinder.com and tuneupmedia.com which turned out not to be free after all and that p....d me off. I don't mind paying for s.ware but I hate being conned.
    I'll get back when I've looked at your link MK
    docusk
    Refurbished Computer.
    Gigabyte EP32-DS3L MOBO; 4Gb SDRAM; Intel EP8200 Core2Duo 2.6 CPU; HIPER PSU; Arctic Cool Freezer7Pro cooler; CD-R/RW; 2 X Western Digital 500 Gb SATA HDD plus Seagate 250 Gb HDD plus usual items. Windows 7 home premium.