Thread: wifi intermittent

wifi intermittent

about 3x/week: my wifi ceases functioning (ie there is an "x" thru the wifi icon lower right portion of screen).

Trying "repair" does not fix

removing/replugging wifi adapter into different usb ports does not fix.

ultimately--if i reboot computer 2-3X and switch usb ports...it operates again???

what is going on/what is a suggested fix?

all the drivers etc r installed and operational--no problem(s) indicated in device manager>hardware.

thanx.
    ed

What kind of adapter do you have? is this a laptop or desktop?

Did you scan for other routers in the area? If they are on the same channel as your router, you should try switching to 1, 6, or 11 (whichever is not being used by your neighbors)
    http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_view.html

the adapter is an ALFA "long range"

The wifi is supplied by my landlord (apartment complex)

desktop computer
    ed

There are many causes of dropped connections such as fluorescent lights, microwave ovens, . . .

I suggest using a wireless monitoring tool such as inSSIDer or wireless Net View. Pay particular attention to the RSSI because a signal with low interference is more important than signal strength. A typical inSSIDer display will look similar to this one.

All of the signals except mine (Kitzy) are from at least 150 feet away. None of the signals are very good because of interference. Even the Kitzy5 signal at 5.180 GHz is only fair. There are no other wireless transmitters on that band nearby. Still the environment degrades the signal by more than half. I'm in a single family concrete house.