Thread: Win 7 Startup repair loop - desperate for help

Win 7 Startup repair loop - desperate for help

I'm really at the wits end here, and desperately plead for help.

I recently spent 2 weeks reinstalling software, importing contacts, emails, calendars etc and all that wonderfull stuff you have to do after a clean install on new PC (old one, with XP died and I couldn't boot old HDD in new PC).

So I opted for Win 7, and after all that, after a month of everything working fine, I tried a System Restore few days ago to get rid of some messed up icons (IDIOT!!!!). System Restore lasted for about 6 hours, and then at restart, went into "Startup repair". And I've been in this loop ever since.

As Windows starts to load, it goes into "Startup repair" process for about 15-20 seconds, then a pop-up appears saying that "Startup cannot repair this computer automatically", with an option to "send information about this problem". There's also a "view problem details" button which reports:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
    Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
    Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
    Problem Signature 03: unknown
    Problem Signature 04: 21200795
    Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
    Problem Signature 06: 24
    Problem Signature 07: Corupt Registry
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

After declining to inform good people of Microsoft about the problem (Don't Send), I'm left with a window that explains that I should disconnect devices, etc, and with two links:

1. View diagnostic and repair details - this one displays a series of test results with error codes 0x0, and one "Root cause found. Startup repair has tried several times but still cannot determine the cause of the problem".

2. Advanced options for system recovery and support. ..... -

From this one, I have tried the "system restore" numerous times, starting with most recent (undo restore) and continuing with progressively older restore points. But they all seem to have some problem so I just end up with an error report informing me that no changes were done to my system, and that "unspecified error ocurred during system restore"

I have also tried booting from Win7 install disk and selecting "Repair". It detects the Win7 installation OK, "Startup Repair" doesn't report any problems, but System Restore has same issues as above.

Other things I have tried:
    - Win memory diagnostic (from main recovery options) - no errors
    - Chkdsk which doesn't report problems
    - Disconnect/remove all USB, printer, network, PCI cards
    - Booting into Safe mode, VGA mode, last known good config (everything boots into the "Startup Repair" with same results)
    - SFC /scannow from Command Prompt - says system repair pending so cannot run

Finally, some system info:
    Non-branded PC
    Windows 7 Home 6.1.7600 32 bit (OEM install disk - full version)
    Asus M4A785TD-M EVO (using on-board ATI Radeon 4200)
    AMD Phenom 2 X4 965

Is there any hope, short of clean install and another 2 weeks of restoring stuff?

I haven't tried to do an install from Win 7 disk over the existing installation - not sure if it can be done with my OEM full version, and honestly, I fear to try it and make things even worse (if that's possible).

Thank you, good people.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

This is what you need I think.
    http://www.nirmaltv.com/2009/12/17/h...-installation/

Thanks, but I was hoping not to have to do a new install....

The nirmaltv link describes waht I already tried but with no success

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Best run the hdd makers diagnostic tool on your hdd.

You have a prime example there of why you should have a backup strategy. Having a backup image for next time will save you a lot of grief.

Sticky BpB's- Backup Your PC for Disaster Recovery

Sticky Tech Tools - Paragon Backup Express

Sticky Best of Data Storage- Backup

*Acronis True Image and Norton Ghost are the most popular, but the freebies do the job just fine.

Finally decided to do an upgrade install from original DVD. That solved it for the most part, except that I'm have a lot of errors in the event viewer, but I'll post separate thread about some of those.

Now is the time to back up your data and prepare for full installation. What you have now is the equivalent of rebuilding a home on a rotten foundation. You should cut your losses and move on.

Choose and use a full backup solution. It's a real lifesaver.
    MS MCP, MCSE

So if I understand correctly, I can do a "Install" from the original CD and still keep my data? Thanks,

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-install.html

That shows you how to did step by step. Other methods will allow you to lose everything!

Quote Originally Posted by voyager2972 View Post
    So if I understand correctly, I can do a "Install" from the original CD and still keep my data?
    Absolutely.
    MS MCP, MCSE