Thread: Possible adapters

Possible adapters

I am using several USB 3g and 3.5g mobile modems to connect to the internet, much better than telephone service here.

I have a couple of decent standard RJ45 connect routers but no input service to use them. I recently bought a couple of WiFi capable printers and would like to connect to use them.
    Does any one know of an adapters that will take one of my USB mobile 3G modems and adapt to the RJ45 input on one of my routers.

I am aware of the new 3G routers but trying to use what I already have.
    Last edited by Billforce; 10-31-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Hi Billforce,

Have a look at http://us.zyxel.com/products/details...pNo=PDCA200927 as this seems to be along the lines of what you may be looking for.

Michael

Assuming the routers you have are wireless, you should be able to set up a network with your existing hardware. In the properties of the 3g adapter, there is a sharing tab where you can share this connection with others through your Local Area Connection. Set one of the routers to obtain an IP by DHCP and connect its WAN port to the LAN port on the sharing computer. You then have a local wired and wireless network which gives everyone internet access through the 3g adapter and access to wireless printers and shared files.
    I do this a lot for clients who, out of necessity, are required to employ a high power (1000mW) USB adapter to pick up a weak signal. I share out the amplified signal in this manner creating a dependable local area network with internet access.
    Internet Connection Sharing took a deservedly bad rap back when it was being used with dialup, but with broadband connections it works a treat.
    Ideally this would be done from a desktop computer, but would work just fine with a stationary laptop. Bear in mind that your internet connection will go down if this computer falls asleep on the job. Set you power options accordingly.
    Last edited by Ol'Tunzafun; 11-03-2011 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol'Tunzafun View Post
    . Set one of the routers to obtain an IP by DHCP and connect its WAN port to the LAN port on the sharing computer. .
    Thanks Tunza.....but how do I configure the router is it isn't active. I have the WAN connected to the LAN but the router doesn't show up? Win 7 The 3G is connected and it shows the network OK but I can't locate the router to configure?
    Last edited by Billforce; 11-17-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Post the make and model of the router.

Why, I have several and whatever applies to one applies to all standard wireless routers?
    The question pertains to setup in Windows, not the router.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    So we can look up what to use in the browser so you can enter them and make the changes needed.

Tunzafun,
    If you have a moment please respond to my question to YOU!

Bill

Is the router connected to the LAN? The WAN interface does not have to be active for configuration.
    Open your web browser and type the default IP address of the router you wish to configure.
    You will connect to its web configuration page.

Sorry Bill, I've been away.
    I usually configure the router ahead of time by connecting directly to one of the LAN ports. The only critical setting is that the WAN should automatically acquire an IP address (by DHCP). This is likely the default setting. The LAN side should have DHCP enabled unless you are assigning static addresses to local clients, but that is also a default setting.
    To share out the 3G device, in Win 7, open the Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel, choose Change adapter settings in the left panel, right-click on your 3G connection and choose Properties. Under the Sharing tab check "Allow other users to connect through this computer's internet connection." and then from the drop down menu, choose your Local Area Connection, and then OK.
    The 3G connection should now be broadcasting through the LAN port, looking for clients like your router that need a WAN IP address to connect to the internet. The address will be in the 192.168.0.x range. If you can now access the router by typing its default LAN address into your browser, check under the Status tab to confirm that it has acquired a WAN address in that range. If it has not, click Release and then Reset, or just reboot the router.
    I'm not the world's greatest technical writer, so if you need clarification on something, I will be paying attention now.