Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What keeps changing resolution back? Odd!

What keeps changing resolution back? Odd!

We all have our own resolutions we like to keep and mine is 1024 X 1280. Earlier tonight i was running my other O.S. win.XP on the ohter drive and rebooted into my Windows 7 on the ohter drive as typical.

When it booted up i find my resolution on 1280 X 720 again and no other modes listed. I have have this same thing happen in the not too recent past. Problem is i had it on what i wanted for like the past 3 driver updates and it always worked on 1280 X 1024 and the other modes were listed. Now it is like the issue ( built in Win.7 modes i suspect ), with only the one resolution at HD and then it listed generic PC as 1024 X768.

I sure would like to understand why it suddenly like a thief in the night, wipes out all other or changes it back to native resolutions, which is OK , but it just is not proportional to my 22" widescreen. Everything is stretched vertically too much. The taskbar is like huge..!
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

If you shut down and or reboot does it fix it?

No nothing has worked. I uninstalled latest driver and went back to the previous and same thing. I 've done that nire then once..

All I know is on XP nothing like this is happening. Only on Windows 7. The resolution is totally unacceptable to me. The taskbar is huge like an inch high as are icons, which is the only thing that gtes smaller if chosen. I would opt for restore but something I either installed or did wiped out all but the driver uninstalls. I used 'Revo' to totally get rid of any traces and reinstalled all components.

Before when this happened like a few months ago, I either did something to fix it ,and or I thought maybe the Nvidia Control panel settings might be the answer but no go.

I distinctly remember when it was OK previous that it listed all modes or resolution. Windows 7 is designed I believe to auto this feature,depending upon CRT or LCD. Its obvious. I am on XP now writing this and this OS no isues with that. Since one O.S. ( XP ) says its OK and the res. are all there, then why upon reboot or?, it only happens in the other O.S. ( Win. 7 ) ?
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

All video modes can be viewed in Windows 7. Here's how:
    right click the desktop,
    click screen resolution,
    click advanced settings,
    click list all modes,
    select the mode you want,
    then OK out of each dialog.

Thats fine but i tried that and none of the other modes are listed. The highest it goes is 1280 X 720 then >>> drops down to PC/ 1024 X 768

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    The reason they are hide is because the monitor can not display those modes.

Any way to change this? Why then has this not happened for a long time. Before i remember i changed back to an earlier driver version and it worked..., but some of the newer games ,for instance, require a driver update. XP no issue. Windows 7, as much as i like it is using default, but not even 1200 X1600 is shown in modes as before they all were.

I bet if i were to install Windows 7 again this might not happen. ( ?)

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Might be a driver or 2 off for Win 7.

Is the video card, XFX 9600GT, the one in your sig?
    Are the drivers downloaded from xfxforce.com and not nVidia?
    Are the drivers the correct Windows 7 version 285.62?

Reinstalling Windows won't do anything than telling Device Manager to load new drivers for the video card does.

Red face

First off thanks for the response guys. I trully think im out of luck. tried everything i know. registry, revo uninstaller, Program files, any other settings that might have to be looked at etc...
    Just awhile ago i uninstalled and reinstalled again and ame thing. You know.., for any other driver in the past after installing a new driver, and rebooting, all other installs would pop onto desktop with 1200 X1600 and it doesn't even do that or show that or any other.

Train., you might be right. I thik something somewhere's is messed up in Win.7 O.S. ,although no other appears to be out of sync.

At the current resolution what is really odd is now all pics. are stretched also out of proportion. Games look ok but even playing Battlefield 3 one notices figures streched some also.

Just for ref. it shows as DVI to PC connection which is correct. My monitor settings seem to be right and not out of whack.

I might write to Nividia and inquisre about this. Maybe they would know an answer.

Gosh.., go away for awhile and evrything turns to mush.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Try a older driver, like Version 270.61 for that card.
    http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Beta

Some time the latest is not the greatest when they break things.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Not only that but they have a version finder for your card at
    http://www.geforce.com/Drivers

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Is Win 7 32 or 64 bit.

Be sure to get the right version!

What is the product number of your card? It should be similar to PVT94PYDF4. There are 8 different XFX 9600 GT models listed on the HCL.

The Windows 7 Hardware Compatibility List for XFX graphics cards will indicate compatibility and if the drivers are built into Windows 7.

Link tinyurl.com/crm9tk9

ua549.., Thanks alot for that. I will look that over in a bit.

I did however, take what Train said and installed the older driver on Windows 7 (270.62) and they worked fine. That set of drivers when installed lists all modes I want. I'm trying to figure out why newer sets leave a person like me with this machine at odds, knowing at sometime we have to update and that I only have 1024 X 768 native and or HD 1280 X720, which leaves one with distortion.

Also, why then did it work before for months, listing all modes? Untill I get some feasible answer to this dilema. There must be somebody out there who has had the same issue one would think.
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 11-10-2011 at 07:55 PM.