Thread: 4GB Memory installed ( 2.43 Usable)

4GB Memory installed ( 2.43 Usable)

How to get this box know about the whole memory size?

Thanks

Check the bios and make sure that memory remapping is disabled.

no go. No such options in BIOS.

I can only change boot sequence, do some diagnostics on memory,hdd and set some BIOS password.

is there anythin else at OS level?

Am not sure but a BIOS update if available should do somethin???

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Maybe this will help find out what is eating it up.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussi...1/3092070.aspx

Poor choice of words on my part.

Check msconfig and make sure that /MaxMem is unchecked.

ok does this look fine??

Last edited by Swordfish; 03-24-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Train...one thing is for sure the on-board ATI graphics is only 512mb...even if there is mapping happening with physical memory it shouldn't eat up almost 1.5GB....correct me if am wrong, i hated microprocessor class in my engineering lectures...i used to mug up each chapter before the finals.

did some research at msdn, as most places online people are saying Win7 32-bit can only address 3GB...

just for information whoever feels this is important:

did some research at msdn, as most places online people are saying Win7 32-bit can only address 3GB...
    That's true of any 32-bit OS. You'll never get the full 4GB. Typically, it would show about 3.25G. Even if you subtract the 512 for your video card, that's around 2.75GB. The video memory shouldn't affect usable, though.

I'm pretty sure the problem is memory remapping. That's been the fix most of the time. I don't see where you stated your motherboard model, but I figure it's pretty new because of the i5.

I may be completely off the mark here. I have a similar situation running WinXP Pro 32 bit with 3 gigs of Ram. My system shows "3072MB total with 1.96GB available.

When I total the memory used by the processes that are running at the moment and subtract it from the total memory I get roughly the 1.98 available.

In other words did you account for the memory used by the operating system and processes?

hmm....motherboard info says HP Pavilion dm4 notebook PC.

michael, if you google around, some have resolved this by that BIOS setting that midi is pointing at.

My laptop bios is not that customizable...that vendor was smart enough not to tell me that the laptop with its 64bit os will not support most of my legacy apps. Luckily my office allows me to install brand new win7 32bit..else i dunno what i would have done to that vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
    hmm....motherboard info says HP Pavilion dm4 notebook PC.

michael, if you google around, some have resolved this by that BIOS setting that midi is pointing at.

My laptop bios is not that customizable...that vendor was smart enough not to tell me that the laptop with its 64bit os will not support most of my legacy apps. Luckily my office allows me to install brand new win7 32bit..else i dunno what i would have done to that vendor.
    I see what you are saying but my system has 3 gig installed and 1.96 gig usable. I have 73 processes running and when I total the amount of memory used by these processes it amounts to 1+ gig.

Out of interest I started my system in safe mode and my system information stated that I had 3 gig total and 2.74 gig usable, because there were a lot of processes not started. It would be interesting if you totaled the amount of memory used by the system and subtracted it from your total and see if it comes near your usable memory.

Michael

I had the same problem with my EVGA board, installed 6 GB of G-skill and this was on a 64 bit OS windows 7, in system management you would only see 6 GB installed and 3.99 GB usable, I went through every BIOS setting I could, from voltage to CPU settings, I got the system to show 6 GB once within a day or two it was right back to the same 3.99 usable, I ended up having to buy a different brand of memory and sure enough it showed up correctly, and I did RMA my G-skill twice. Im not sure if its your memory being incompatible but that was my case even though it said it was compatible on EVGA’s website, search there forums you will finds many people with the same problem some if not all ended up replacing the memory
    EVGA GTX 470
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI
    COOLER MASTER Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Black
    Intel tel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz Quad-Core