Thread: How different is installing an XP app into the Windows (X86) folder vs. XP Mode

How different is installing an XP app into the Windows (X86) folder vs. XP Mode

I have a client who has a very expensive video editing software running on XP, and he wants to upgrade to a more powerful and up-to-date Windows 7 machine. However he wants to keep using the editing software that he has now.

I know that "XP Mode" is only in the Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate versions, but what if he just gets a Windows 7 Premium Home edition and installed that software, which would be installed in the Windows (X86) folder. Would that work?

What are the main differences between installing an XP program in the Windows (X86) folder of a Windows 7 Home Premium system and running the Windows 7 Professional machine in XP mode and installing and running the XP software in that?

Are they programs that will not run or install in the Windows (X86) folder of a Windows 7 Home Premium system, but will run perfectly in XP Mode in Windows 7 Professional?

Which do you suggest?

Thanks.

Can't say that I'm following you at all with the (x86) part...

You can either dual boot XP and Win 7 provided you can find drivers of XP and the new machine....

Or you can get Win 7 Pro and use the XP Mode....which is what I would do. XP Mode runs in a seperate Window inside Win7 and is a piece of cake versus dual booting. MS Provides the XP OS for free.

OR, you can install Virtual PC or Virtual Box inside Win 7 Home..... and use your own copy of XP.

There are many programs from the XP era that will install and run in Windows 7 without any tweaking. All 32 bit software is installed in the X86 folder. That includes many current programs such as Internet Explorer 9.

I recommend that the old software be installed and run. If there are issues, then examine other options.

You should really check Windows 7 compatibility with the software manufacturer. There may be patches or updates you need to install.

Note that XP Mode uses virtualization, so the application may have issues with that.
    http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/rev...s-xp-mode.ars/

OK. Thanks. I guess we have to decide if we're going to go with XP Mode or a VM environment.

So Midknyte, since XP Mode uses virtualization, does that mean that it is no better than any of the virtualization software programs?

And what about VMWare Player? How good is it? How does it compare to VirtualBox and Virtual PC? They say it's better than running in XP Mode. True?

From VMWare's site:

Better than Windows XP Mode

Run legacy Windows XP applications with better graphics, faster performance, and tighter integration than Windows XP mode offers. With Unity, shared folders and drag and drop convenience, VMware Player is the better way to run Windows XP on Windows 7. Use VMware vCenter Converter to transform your existing Windows PC into a virtual machine and eliminate the need to re-install and re-configure your existing applications which is necessary with Windows XP Mode.
    I'm assuming I would need my own copy of XP to use with VMWare Player, just like you do with VMWare Fusion, is that right?

And what's the difference between running a VM and creating one? Would I need to create one?

VMWare's site said I would need this free software to create one:

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

I installed VMWare's Fusion on some Mac's for clients with great success. It runs beautifully. I assume that VMWare Player is of the same quality?

And with regard to the software having patches or upgrades for Windows 7, my client said he would have to buy the new version, which is a substantial cost.

I know what Steve and ua549 would do. What would you do, Midknyte?

So Midknyte, since XP Mode uses virtualization, does that mean that it is no better than any of the virtualization software programs?
    Pretty much. If the software requires specific device drivers, then it probably won't work properly.

I'm assuming I would need my own copy of XP to use with VMWare Player, just like you do with VMWare Fusion, is that right?
    Yup. VMWare Player is more limited than Fusion, but it'll do the trick.

If the manufacturer says he needs to upgrade in order to run properly on Win7, I can't really go against that.

If the software needs direct device access (specific drivers), then you'd probably need to dual boot. If the software can run in a VM, then XP Mode might be your best option since you wouldn't need another XP license.

OK. Thanks. What if I already have an XP license that I can use? Would you still use XP Mode or would you use a VM solution? If a VM solution, which would you use, VirtualBox, Virtual PC, or VMWare Player? And I assume I wouldn't need to create a VM with VMWare's Converter? I could just install and run it in the VM Player?

Also, do you have a link to the best tutorial for creating a dual boot system with Windows 7 and XP?

I'm guessing we can ask the manufacturer if it will run in a VM, but they might be biased in that they would want to sell him the latest version. He said they weren't the nicest company to deal with and every transaction he had with them was quite costly.

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    There are many programs from the XP era that will install and run in Windows 7 without any tweaking. All 32 bit software is installed in the X86 folder. That includes many current programs such as Internet Explorer 9.

I recommend that the old software be installed and run. If there are issues, then examine other options.
    This would seem to be the primary option. Most XP programs will just work and others require being installed in compatibility mode. Not many require the more cumbersome measures that you are considering.

If you have a Win7 system to test on, you might as well try and install your app. I don't see what you have to lose.

OK. Thanks. What if I already have an XP license that I can use? Would you still use XP Mode or would you use a VM solution? If a VM solution, which would you use, VirtualBox, Virtual PC, or VMWare Player? And I assume I wouldn't need to create a VM with VMWare's Converter? I could just install and run it in the VM Player?
    XP Mode is the same as Virtual PC. Unless you really want to build a scratch install, I don't see a significant benefit to using Virtualbox or VMPlayer. If the software requires specific hardware interaction, then it won't run correctly in a VM. You need to determine that before you start going down the VM option.

I don't see where you mention the name of the app, so I have no idea what the requirements are. If the vendor says he needs to upgrade, then maybe you need to ask them exactly why.

OK. Thanks, guys. We'll try installing it on a Win 7 machine. If that doesn't work, and it requires hardware interaction, then I guess a dual boot will be in order.

Not sure of the name of the app. Will have my client check why.

Here is the software info:

About Swift
    Swift Version v5.008
    Copyright 1997 - 2003 Softel Ltd.
    Build: Jan 4 2005 - 11:42:55
    Open VP Unicode
    WordPro Info:WIN32 UNISCRIBE
    WordPro Version:4.0.0
    SOFTEL

Do you think that would run in Windows 7?

Of course they don't make that specific program anymore. They make variations of it.

http://www.softelgroup.com/products/

It relies heavily on an audio and video card. Is that the type of hardware integration you're referring to where it would not run in a VM?

There is very little to go on here, so it's hard to give you an informed opinion.

Is there some kind of readme on the install disc? Install guide, manuals, etc? You need to look at the hardware requirements.

Did you check the device manager for any "softel" devices?

You might as well give it a whirl on your test Win7 box first. If you get an error about missing drivers or devices, then go from there.

I'm just conversing with my client via email right now. I'll see what he can find with regard to readme files, etc. I'll also have him check Device Manager.

But you're right. The best thing to do is to just give it a whirl on my Win 7 laptop when I get it. Thanks.