Thread: WiFi and Bluetooth question

Question WiFi and Bluetooth question

Hi all. I'm not sure if this question should go into this forum but here goes. I have a PC I planned to hook up to a TV. The PC would use 802.11g WiFi to access my home network and the Internet. I started looking for a mini keyboard/mouse to use with this and realized that there might be an issue using either Bluetooth or 2.4 GHz band devices (that aren't Bluetooth). The PC would have a WiFi NIC in it and something, either a Bluetooth adapter or other 2.4 GHz device, connected and used at the same time. How do people get around this issue other then utilizing 802.11n?

A Bluetooth keyboard will not interfere with wi-fi.
    I've used a Logitech diNovo Edge keyboard for years and never had any issues with it.

FWIW I have several distinct wi-fi networks in my house and they don't interfere with each other.

I am currently using a wifi connected laptop with a 2.4GHz non-bluetooth mouse, though the mouse connects through a small USB adapter. I actually originally bought this mouse to work with my media PC/TV because it has a much greater range than bluetooth. It works fine but I now use a 2.4GHz non-bluetooth keyboard with a trackball for the media centre.
    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=32...m&promoid=1363

Awesome, thanks for the information. I won't worry about it now!

Actually, so now the question is whether or not to use Bluetooth vs. regular 2.4 GHz RF. Which is better? The keyboard/mouse unit won't every be used more than 15' away from the PC. Any thoughts?

There are three versions or classes of transmit power for Bluetooth.
    Class 1 - 100 mW 100 meters
    Class 2 - 2.5 mW 10 meters
    Class 3 - 1.0 mW 1 meter

I have a class 1 BT dongle that I use to send music to a headset while I work outdoors.
    AFAIK the Logitech diNovo Edge BT keyboard is a class 2. I've used it in another room from where the system is located.
    IMO most devices are BT class 2 that have a range of approximately 33 feet.
    Keep in mind that to use a given class, the devices on each end shoul be at the same class or better.
    In other words a class 2 or 3 device won't communicate with a class 1 device at a distance of 100 meters.
    It takes two to tango.

Thanks for the info. I'm a little confused about the Bluetooth stuff. Take this item for example:

http://www.magic-pro.com/en/product/...niBTTouch2.htm

It looks pretty cool, but what confuses me is that the system requirements include a Bluetooth enabled PC (if you want to use it with a PC). However it shows that it comes with a Bluetooth dongle. I don't get it. I thought the Bluetooth dongle is what you'd plug into your PC but now I'm wondering if the Bluetooth dongle plugs into the keyboard/mouse device to provide it with Bluetooth, and thus you'd need a Bluetooth enabled PC.

Am I right? Does that make sense?

The dongle plugs into the computer. Many bluetooth devices provide a storage dock for the dongle so that it doesn't get misplaced when not paired. I think it is safe to ignore that "bluetooth enabled PC" stuff, unless you're running Windows 98.