Thread: TaskBar Folder - Don't Open

TaskBar Folder - Don't Open

Windows XP Pro. We used the Add New ToolBar to the taskbar. The folder that is now on taskbar has short cuts to programs and sub folders. We do not want to open a browser. We want to execute the shortcut that is in the folder without opening the actual folder. Any help please.
    Bob

If I understand this correctly, that's what the Quick Launch toolbar is for. It'll be listed among available toolbars when you right-click a blank space on the task bar. When the toolbar appears beside the start button, you can copy shortcuts to it by dragging and dropping. The right mouse button is preferable for dragging because it gives you an options menu when you drop. Choosing either Create Shortcut or Copy from that menu, should do the trick.
    You can drag an executable file and create a shortcut to it, or you can drag another shortcut from the desktop (or wherever) and copy it to the toolbar.

Ol'Tunzafun Thanks for responding.

We had way too many items that were on the quick launch bar. So we wanted to try the same approach that we use on our start menu bar. By going to the we had the shortcuts needed.

so we wanted to try and have a basic folder on the taskbar that will execute the shortcuts. The problem is a browser opens that contains the shortcuts, which creates a second step.

If you have too many items on the taskbar the shortcuts to the far right get shoved into a folder, displayed by two tiny arrows, which has the basic feel we are looking for. The folder that holds the overflow can be opened by clicking the two tiny arrows with the affect were looking for. it just seems that this should be a way to create a folder on the taskbar that can hold a few shortcuts. Two clicks could open up that shortcut. Where as using the start menu to do the same thing would take three clicks.

For most people one click is nothing to even think about. In my case it's a big thing.

Bob

Sounds like you need to make a second taskbar folder and split your shortcuts between the two if you want to avoid the third click...

I don't get it. This should work. Try creating two folders - one with program shortcuts and one with folder shortcuts. Don't mix the two.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I think maybe the feature you are looking for is "flyout menus" which can be enabled on the start menu, but I'm not sure about how to enable it on other folders, and I am not at an XP machine right now.
    Flyout menus will eliminate that extra step, but it may be necessary to find an add-on like Stardock's ObjectDock, or something like that.

>>Ol'Tunzafun<<
    I do have such items as you mention on the StartMenu. I would rather on the TaskBar. I have a couple of programs that can do it but I want to avoid 3rd party for this mission.

>>Steve R Jones<<
    Second TaskBar. Interesting. That sounds like you're not talking about the second line that shows up when you overextend the TaskBar. it seems, in the past, I have heard of the possibility of several TaskBar's. If that were the case there must be a way to call the various TaskBars. Interesting.

>>BipolarBill<<
    This we have done. If you drag a couple of folders onto the TaskBar and execute they want to open up a browserwindow. But if you cram that taskbar lying was a folder on the far right does not have ruled, when you execute it opens up opportunity to open that program. That's exactly what we want. We just want to do it without cramming the end of the TaskBar

Bob

PS No disrespect but I find it hard to believe that all of us haven't done this before since it is such a clean solution for what we do all day long. and dad is open a program right from the TaskBar. On my start menu i.e. contain my programs in a few folders Comm, Web, UTY, Graphic, Music, Movie, Office. I shudder at the thought of using Microsoft's installed programs go. So I basically create my execution menus the same way as above.

So I want to add the above folders to the TaskBar whereas one click will give me access to the programs I need to open.
    Last edited by amerifax; 10-15-2011 at 01:37 PM.

INTERESTING

Must be to apply all those tags on the above. I found in Windows 7 click on (StartMenu- Adobe-Adobe Digital Editors) you have several programs to click and execute. You most likely have several items on the "All Programs" and this will give you exactly what I'm looking for for the TaskBar.

It seems like there has to be some kind of hook that would give you the same action.

Bob

Don't drag and drop a folder. Create a folder with shortcuts to programs and folders. Place it on your C drive in the root directory. Now right-click on the taskbar and select Toolbar > Add toolbar and browse to that folder.

Works for me. Keep in mind that the shortcuts to folders that are in the folder open a browser window. The apps execute.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I have 85 icons (no text) on my Quick Launch bar in Windows 7. They work as intended.
    I have it stuck to the left side of the wide screen desktop so it doesn't take up valuable vertical real estate.

I see the direction. The icons rather than a folder from the browser dragged to the TaskBar. I only need to figure out how to create a (Container Bucket) rather than dragging a folder. You must have used something similar to get 85 icons on the left portion of the TaskBar.

>>Works for me. Keep in mind that the shortcuts to folders that are in the folder open a browser window. The apps execute.<<
    We have been doing this method.

>>Keep in mind that the shortcuts to folders that are in the folder open a browser window. The apps execute.<<
    I fail to see the difference. ShortCuts & Apps. It seems your saying to use the *.exe and not a shortcut of the *.exe.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by amerifax View Post
    This we have done. If you drag a couple of folders onto the TaskBar
    This is what is confusing me. I cannot "drag" a folder onto my taskbar. I have to right-click and select New Toolbar.
    But if you cram that taskbar lying was a folder on the far right does not have ruled, when you execute it opens up opportunity to open that program.
    I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time understanding your English grammar and syntax. As a consequence, I don't know what you're trying to accomplish.
    MS MCP, MCSE

OK - I have attached a screenshot of a toolbar that I created. It works fine. Please tell me what is wrong with mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MS MCP, MCSE

Here is an old screen shot of my desktop. It has since changed, but the idea is the same.