Thread: Digital Picture reader

Digital Picture reader

I have a 7" Optex Digital picture frame. Works great. I just wondered technically if it could be adapted to use as a book reader by converting files in some way?
    I am only interested, and as you know from past posts I am not bright :O)
    John

I guess not :O) Thanks John

Nope, sorry John. Even if you could swap out the firmware, eReaders require a touch screen which digital photo frames don't have.

Do they all have touch screen? John

Do they all have touch screen?
    Any that I've seen have touch screens. I notice that the early Kindles that were unavailable here in Canada, had built in keyboards, but the bottom line is that you need some kind of input mechanism, like a mouse, keyboard or touch screen, none of which are, to my knowledge, available to a digital photo frame.
    I don't like to say "never" or "not possible" in a technology forum because it is a sure way to be proven wrong, but it would be worth it just to see how it could be done.
    It might be safer to say "not practical".

I understand Tuns , I was only curious. I haven't invested in a reader yet and I see that Amazon have already made advances with the latest Kindle. It is just a matter of taking a chance on when to get on board if you want one. My friend bought an Ipad then in less than a year the Ipad 2 came out and he felt cheated.
    I still prefer to read books that I can see well at this point
    Thanks John

You might take a look at the Kobo, a Canadian product, that has been outselling the kindle by a wide margin in my neck of the woods, probably because the Kindle is perceived as "Canadian unfriendly" with its geographical restrictions, US currency, international shipping issues, and limited rights to Canadian distribution; meaning, a lot of titles are unavailable. Kobo books tend to be cheaper, and being able to "borrow" books from the library seems to be a very big deal to the purchasers that I know. Kobo also has an open platform philosophy; unlike other ereaders, it does not lock you in to having to buy your books only from them.
    http://blog.kobobooks.com/kobo-open-platform/

Thanks Tuns for your input
    Not quite ready to buy an Ebook reader yet,
    Kobo sounds good
    Thanks John