Thread: Is it possible to use HD from one 'puter to another?

Is it possible to use HD from one 'puter to another?

I have a computer who's MB may be on it's last leg.
    I am running a New WD 350 HD with windows 7 installed.

If I got another brand computer(mine is home made generic), and put my
    WD HD in it instead of HD that came with computer, would it work ok? Or
    Will I need to install all drivers for that computer?

Thanks in advance

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Yours would work with a repair install of the OS and installing the drivers for the new motherboard. A clean install is the best bet.

The HAL would be different, so Windows would BSOD. You would have to at least do a repair install, but as Train said you are probably better off doing a clean install.

would it make difference with MB the same as old w/Intel cpu instead of amd?

I can obtain a new never used MB of same brand and chip sets but with Intel CPU instead of AMD.

Still have to do a complete reinstall of windows 7?

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    You can try it, may work, but may end up doing the repair install. Still best to do a clean install of Win 7.

Quote Originally Posted by willoverton View Post
    I can obtain a new never used MB of same brand and chip sets but with Intel CPU instead of AMD.

Still have to do a complete reinstall of windows 7?
    AFAIK there is no chip set that works with both AMD processors and Intel processors. In addition older systems had chip sets with a northbridge and a southbridge. Modern processors have the northbridge functions incorporated into the CPU.

You may get away with a repair install, but I seriously doubt it. Realistically you should have your data backed up and do a clean install of the OS and applications. Note that installation of all kinds of software is very dynamic in that different code may be installed depending on the specific hardware. Changing hardware without re-installing software is an invitation for "mysterious" glitches if the system actually boots.

Ok, Looks like I am going to mirror my HD to another HD. Try it and if it don't work I will
    Reinstall OS and put programs in again. Luckly I don't have alot on this new HD.

In the past i've changed different hardware ie graphics card / MB & CPU etc and the most i' have had to do is run the repair install from the DVD setup. if memory serves correct it should be in the advance menu were you can perform disc partitioning etc. remember to test out the cloned HDD prior to "Testing" just to make sure it cloned your master drive correctly and didn't miss anything.