Thread: Cannot connect to W7 LPT1 printer

Ultimate Member

Cannot connect to W7 LPT1 printer

I am working on a small peer-to-peer network using a Windows 7 Professional computer as a server. I have plugged an Epson LQ-590 printer into the parallel port and installed it. Everything is fine at this point.

I then went to a client WXP computer and used "Add a printer". During the install, a message appears something like I cannot use the driver on the W7 computer, totally understandable. I went to the EPSON website and downloaded the WXP driver. I then tried to use this driver when doing the "Add a printer". The installation indicates this is not a compatible driver.

However, when I do just a straight install to the WXP computer, the printer (driver) installs fine. I just can't get it to network to the Psuedo server.

If you understand all this, any ideas??

Also, what happened to Sterling Aug??

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    While it is on the Win 7 and installing on the XP , do not use ADD a Printer, read the Applets very carefully, as the printer is on the network, You have to select not on this computer. Dang I wish I could remember the wording there.

Be sure to share the printer in Win 7 and have the same User name and password on both computers. Easiest way I found. Epson brand is what I use also, but not that model.

Did you add the printer as local first, and then add a TCPIP port after that?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-7-and-xp/

Ultimate Member
    I did add the printer first and then tried to find the TCP/IP Port after that. When looking for the name, I couldn't find/indicate the correct one. I believe i tried \\computer-name\printer-name for the port but may have made a mistake. I am not at the system right now or would try some other name.

The port I am looking for is LPT1 on the server.

JMHCS

I have plugged an Epson LQ-590 printer into the parallel port and installed it.
    You created a printer share, right? Sorry for the dumb questions, but you didn't explicitly say so.

I'm guessing that you can ping the PCs from one another?

You can also use \\IP\printersharename

Ultimate Member
    Good question but yes I did share the printer. However, I will try to ping it as I hadn't tried that yet. All file shares work.

When you boot up the XP machine do you enter a username and password? The new security in Win7 sure preferes that the XP machine do a log in...

Ultimate Member
    Another good suggestion but I do use a user code/password. Thanks

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jmhcs View Post
    Another good suggestion but I do use a user code/password. Thanks
    I got bit by that and why I suggested the username and same password on the two machines. It is a network thing.

Ultimate Member
    I can see the printer on the server and can add it but the drivers don't work on XP which is to be expected. However, Epson downloads a zip file which when unzipped gives 2 .inf files, neither of which work. It is almost a driver issue rather than a network issue.

That is why I am loading it as a local printer and then attaching it to the right tcp.ip port.

On the Windows 7 machine you can add drivers for other operating systems.
    The option is located in the printer properties under the sharing tab.

If the printer has its own ip address (it's connected to the LAN) you can add it locally to your machine and then create a tcp/ip printer port for it. That way you are not dependent on another machine to manage the printer.

Is there a reason you can't use the USB port instead of the Parallel?

Did you look at the link I posted earlier? It mentions things like disabling password protected sharing.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-7-and-xp/