Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should I go back to IE9?

Should I go back to IE9?

I seem to be having problems almost daily with Mozilla Firefox; autofill & spell check are two of the latest casualties and my brain is too old to go messing with the undergrowth!
    IE 9 has had a few bad reviews and a lot of good ones. Is it worth moving over to Internet Explorer for a simpler service?

docusk
    Refurbished Computer.
    Gigabyte EP32-DS3L MOBO; 4Gb SDRAM; Intel EP8200 Core2Duo 2.6 CPU; HIPER PSU; Arctic Cool Freezer7Pro cooler; CD-R/RW; 2 X Western Digital 500 Gb SATA HDD plus Seagate 250 Gb HDD plus usual items. Windows 7 home premium.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Uninstall Firefox, then reinstall it.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...%20Firefox

Trtied that, got the same toolbars, just 2 and no spell check or autofill. That was Mozilla 5. I ran IE but that's as bad. Further advice???HELLUP.
    docusk
    Refurbished Computer.
    Gigabyte EP32-DS3L MOBO; 4Gb SDRAM; Intel EP8200 Core2Duo 2.6 CPU; HIPER PSU; Arctic Cool Freezer7Pro cooler; CD-R/RW; 2 X Western Digital 500 Gb SATA HDD plus Seagate 250 Gb HDD plus usual items. Windows 7 home premium.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Did you follow the part about "Delete the Firefox folder that contains the Profiles folder and the profiles.ini file - see How to find your profile for the location."?

You'd need to delete the profile folder manually. It's possible that your profile got corrupted. Follow the link Train provided.

Make sure to export your bookmarks first.

Should I go back to IE9?
    It's a bitter pill for most of us, but going back to Internet Explorer (8 or 9) could make us a whole lot safer.

http://www.infopackets.com/news/secu...ware_study.htm

Microsoft has been on a roll.
    Windows 7 is a great operating system.
    Microsoft Security Essentials is a winner.
    And now this...

http://www.nsslabs.com/assets/noreg-...rsem_FINAL.pdf

Thanks Tunzafun. I have installed IE 9 and most is well but there is no file bar! Can't see View and options etc so can't add toolbars.
    There is a spot for me to download Google Chrome but I seem to recall some reservations about that at one time. Is it OK?
    I read the URL about Malware and was a bit shattered to see how badly (Comparatively) Mozilla had done. Maybe M$ is not as bad as I was thinking.
    Anyway, I still don't have autofill or spell check on the - just 2 lines - toolbar. What have I done? Something stupid as usual.
    docusk
    Refurbished Computer.

Can't see View and options etc so can't add toolbars.
    Yes, I understand; I can't live without the menu bar either. Just right-click on some of that background space above or beside the address bar and a context menu will pop up where you can put a check mark beside Menu bar,
    You may also wish to check the other three toolbars that you find there, (Favourites, Command and Status), to give IE that familiar look. You can always uncheck them later if you don't require them.
    Microsoft has turned its attention from Firefox, and is now emulating the features and spartan look of Google Chrome because, in the browser wars, Firefox has flat-lined at 32% of the market and IE is losing ground to Chrome. If we can extrapolate from current trends, the three of them will be tied at 32% by the end of 2012, but FF and Google had better pull up their socks because it appears they have woken the slumbering giant.

I forgot to mention that Autofill and Spellcheck are not native features of IE. Those functions are usually added to IE by the Google toolbar.
    http://tinyurl.com/4ywo7vm

I think I see what happened to autofill and spellcheck in your Firefox. Google has discontinued the Google Toolbar for Firefox beyond FF4.0. You must have updated to 5.0.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20...oolbar-demise/
    They are continuing support for IE9 because Google Search has to capture the market on what will soon become the world's most popular browser. Unlike Microsoft, with Bing, Mozilla does not have its own search engine, so poses no threat in that area. FF users will continue to use Google Search. but will now do so with a somewhat less capable browser.
    There really is a war going on, and like in other wars, some of us have fallen victim to collateral damage. I believe this is what happened to you Doc.

Thanks Tunzafun. You always come up with the solution! How on earth do you do it?
    Whatever, thanks a million, I'll be on the job tomorrow as soon as I can get at my desk. (I could have phrased that better. At 83 it has only one application I fear )
    Let's hear it for ol' Tunzafun eh?!

docusk
    Refurbished Computer.

So did you delete and recreate your profile folder or not?

Spellcheck and autofill seem to be working fine in FF5.01

Ah. Profile &
    Refurbished Computer.

Ah. Profile. I just tried and got a direction to my folder but clicking made no difference, in fact, nothing happened.
    I wandered around and found where I can download Google Toolbar for IE9 and I know ehere to find Google Chrome. Should I get either or both of them to help?
    I now have the menu bar, favourites, view etc up and that's super. Somewhere I think I can get Autofill but I can live without the spell check.
    Is Chrome OK also the Google toolbar???

docusk
    Refurbished Computer.

Ah. Profile. I just tried and got a direction to my folder but clicking made no difference, in fact, nothing happened.
    I wandered around and found where I can download Google Toolbar for IE9 and I know where to find Google Chrome. Should I get either or both of them to help?
    I now have the menu bar, favourites, view etc up and that's super. Somewhere I think I can get Autofill but I can live without the spell check.
    Is Chrome OK also the Google toolbar???

docusk
    Refurbished Computer.