Thread: Re-allocated Sector Count

Re-allocated Sector Count

Hi Guys,
    I have a WD 500G Sata drive. Was in a Dell and always requested a F1 to continue with a warning that there was a prob with the drive. It was only a few weeks old. Dell replaced the drive and did not request the return of the original.

Acronis software tells me the problem is "Re-allocated Sector Count". The drive seems to be working perfectly other than the warning. Is failure a sure thing or does anyone have any suggestions on repairing this problem.

Thanks for you suggestions as always.

Wallie

When I got a replacement drive from Dell - they took my credit card number in case I didn't send back the defective one

Did you google-> Re-allocated Sector Count
    After a few quick reads - it sure looks like the drive is toast and shouldn't be trusted.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Re-allocated Sector Count

I would be getting a new hdd like yesterday or the day before.
    And introduce that one to a big hammer.!!

Thanks

TY for your replies.

I have used this drive for a few months for non crucial purposes and there hasn't been any issues other than the warning at start up. I had hoped there might be some sort of software to restore it to its original state.

Guess I will toss it.

Thanks again and have a good day.
    Wallie

Re-allocated Sector Count just means the HDD firmware noted some bad sectors when reading or writing to a section on the drive, so it blocked those areas off permanently and reallocated replacements from a reserve pool. Dell uses S.M.A.R.T. to log the hard drives health, and Acronis is just reporting the same. This doesn't mean the rest of the drive is going to fail, only that you had some bad sectors. However, since the drive could be failing it is risky to continue to use it.
    Any pro tech worth his salt is going to tell you to replace the drive because of the risk of losing data for a $50 drive. In this business errors are not allowed.
    On a personal note, I would never use such a drive for critical data or as an OS drive, but I've used such drives over the years myself for personal use as temporary, spare external or secondary drives where backups are available elsewhere. Example, for games, movies, music etc, But , I monitor the drives health on a schedule. Some drives last long enough that I out grow them , some begin to fail quickly. It really boils down to risk and your time. Just use good judgement in how you use it.
    Acronis Drive Monitor can help with monitoring the drives health.
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...drive-monitor/