Thread: whacky computer

whacky computer

I have not been on here for a long time. Guess I thought I was too good to have problems anymore. LOL (Not Even) I have run across something that is driving me nuts. My browser gets huge and when I try and type in the Google window, it will pop up different things on the computer. The cursor when its pointing on something sits there and bonks rapidly till I take it off the icon. Its slow, and since I did a system restore, which didn't work, cleaned the PC of all unnecessary files with a disk cleanup and also a HD error check, nothing worked. I want to go to start then programs and it pops up something from my desk top or some other program I didn't ask for.
    It totaly has to be a virus, malware or trojan. I have never seen this on any machine I have had in 12 years and have always been able to keep out undesireable critters. Guess I didn't this time.
    Its so whacked out I can't get much more information than this off it. I did a scan but my antivirus found nothing. Used Malware/Adware and found nothing. I am baffled.

What do you all suggest, any idea's?

Machine info I could get to:

MS windows XP PRo
    HP Media Center PC
    Motherboard - 8/29/2005 Lakeport-P5LP-LE-00
    Intel (R) Pentium (R) D CPU 2.80GhZ

I did a scan but my antivirus found nothing. Used Malware/Adware and found nothing. I am baffled.
    Specify which programs you used. Not all products are created equal.

Sorry, I use Viper Premium and have used it for several years. I also use the typical Malwarebytes and anti-Malware. The firewall and a malware and spyware are integrated into the antivirus. At times it can be annoying when it won't let you go to a certain page or download something but, its for the users own good, so I reluctantly heed its warning. I have the huristics set to the max so even a knat should not be able to get through unless its a new knat.
    Viper has never let anything through in the years I have had it. I know its possable there is a new "nasty" out there getting People right and left, just never thought I would be one to get hit. I noticed that when I try and use OE and send a message, the address in the to: box starts growing untill its impossable to distinguish what the address is. It also opens things like the device manager when you hit the letter S. A message is impossable to send, let alone type in an address to send it. If you try to write a message you get all these garbled words, capital and lower case letters mixed in with strange fontsbetween.
    I am going to have a look at some viruis sites and see if there is anything going around like that. OH, and this is my friends computer I have been working on so it is not infected or even connected to the other one. They may not get it back unless I can get the other one fixed or my new one up and running.
    I hope I gave you what you need.
    And by the way, why do I have to log in and log in and log in time and time again after I hit the submit reply button? You got problems too. I hope this time it goes to the forum except a new log on page.

Dumb question, but did you try a different keyboard? If it's a USB keyboard/mouse, did you try different ports?

Vipre is supposed to be pretty good, as well as Malwarebytes. You can also run GMER and aswMBR to check for rootkits.
    If you really think it's malware, try posting to our sister site, VirtualDR
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...d.php?t=167915

You can also run rkill to check for malware processes.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...ti-virus/rkill

why do I have to log in and log in and log in time and time again after I hit the submit reply button?
    Sounds like the browser isn't saving the cookie for the site. It could be in "Privacy" mode, depending on the browser.

Now that makes sence being the keyboard. Its a MS split board and I have had it quite awhile. I will try that first then try the other suggestions as well.
    Its in the am here so will do that tomorrow and keep you posted. Thanks.

Quick question here. I am good with hardware, not software, Ahhh whats awsMBR & GMER. I need an emberrassed face Here ( :-} ) as well as spell check.

Please go to the VirtualDR link I posted. They explain the removal tools there.