I have had this Lenovo laptop for just under a year (specs below), This is the second time this has happened. The first time after a month. The symptoms start with Windows patches having trouble installing. After some time the computer won't boot up. The Windows recovery tool runs and says it can't fix the problem which is releated to bad patches. It doesn't start in safe mode either. I took off the reboot on blue screen option and saw the unmountable boot error. Now the funny thing is that once out of every 50 or so tries, it does start up. During the first time I was able to remove the recent Windows updates, including those in staging. I also backed up everything I needed. After that it didn't boot again, with the same reason. I ran the Lenova disk took and received the following:
Smart status - OK
Funnel Seek - OK
Random verify - OK
Surface Scan - Found uncorrectable error (LBA 0000006212670h)

Some very odd things occur:
When it does boot up, it works fine. It installs windows patches without an issue.
When I gave up on it booting, I tried a Linux cd but this time it wouldn't load what it needed. Same CD worked fine the first time last year this happened.

Since this happened twice in a year, I am really wondering if there is a hardware problem. The only thing this computer is used for is the internet. My wife just checks e-mail and facebook on it. The first time this happened I used a Linux boot cd and backed everythig up and then refreshed the whole image. It was fine after that until now. I would buy a new hard drive but I heard of a recall on Intel Series 6 hard drive controllers. I'm not even sure this computer has that. I would hate to buy a new hard drive and have it be the controller.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

(info from Belarc, which was run on one of the rare times it booted)
System Model
LENOVO 4151/200 Lenovo 3000 G530
Enclosure Type: Notebook
Main Circuit Board b
Board: LENOVO JIWA1 REFERENCE
BIOS: LENOVO 0CCN58WW(V1.24) 09/29/2009
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Processor a
2.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core
Drives
1144.19 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity851.54 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633B [Optical drive]
FUJITSU MHZ2160BH G2 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n K60HT983TE6W, SMART Status: Healthy
Controllers
Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller