Thread: Windows 7 Performance Question Gaming

Windows 7 Performance Question Gaming

Hey guys

I have a bud running Windows 7. He Says:

1. Setting Windows 7 Performance settings makes a big difference on LOTRO FPS rate? If he sets his W7 performance to low...he gets increased frame rate in LOTRO?

I told him I doubt it. That should only be for W7 performance right..by that I mean moving around in W7...not playing a game.

He was messing with game settings at the same time, so I figure he got confused?

The only thing I can think of that W7 performance might do to help is possibly (I do not know how it works..just guessing) is free up a little memory?

I know I tried W7 and noticed it loaded a lot of stuff in system memory. I have been sticking with XP so do not know a lot about W7. If this did help, seems like it would be the very first thing gamers do.

He is supposed to test out low vs high performance when he gets a chance but figured I would run it past you experts here.

SO...what is the deal, what would setting W7 performance to low do to a game FPS? Any one try it..or have input on this?

Thanks

Since the game is running on top of Windows... The less resources Windows takes - the more that are available for the game.

It'd be like throwing a 1000 pounds in the trunk of your car... You'd use more gas and horsepower just to drive down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Since the game is running on top of Windows... The less resources Windows takes - the more that are available for the game.

It'd be like throwing a 1000 pounds in the trunk of your car... You'd use more gas and horsepower just to drive down the street.
    So, how many FPS would you gain in LOTRO?

I still do not buy into it. I could see if you were running other programs under W7, but when running a game, nothing else should be running (not that would take up any major cpu cycles). I could see maybe saving a small amount of memory but the guy is running 64 bit with a LOT of memory!

I have a prog called game booster that stops unnecessary services. It is like the old black viper stuff...except it does it automatically. The only difference I see, it starts to load game faster, but I do not notice any FPS increase (using FRAPS).

Does any one run xp or W7 in low windows performance mode (to increase gaming FPS)? In xp I thought all lower performance mode did was give you more or less eye candy when moving around in windows (ie...smooth transitions between moving between folders, shadows or no shadows under folders and so on).

I have never seen an article on gaming saying to set "Windows" to high or low performance to help gaming?

Have I missed out on something for the past 20 years?
    ??
    Last edited by Roadhog; 05-13-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Although running XP, I tried setting performance to "best performance".

I tried it with the last version of Madden and ran Fraps.

I just do not see any difference at all?

However, I am running XP and not W7, so maybe that makes a difference?