Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good wireless signal but can not connect to the net

Good wireless signal but can not connect to the net

Hi Every one,
    My Daughters Dell laptop was very slow with all the rubbish on it, so I formatted the drive. Any way I put the operating system back on, and all the drivers and every thing that was on the disc that came with the laptop. Every thing went well and it is up and running, but the only thing is I have a excellent signal from my Belkin wireless router but it will not connect to the internet. I have checked all the settings in internet explorer and all seems to be ok. I have two other computers running from the same router and they are running fine. Please can some one help.

Thank you

Rover45

Sorry I forgot to mention the operating system we are using, It is XP Pro

IE Tools->Options->Connection tab->Lan Settings button->uncheck everything in the next screen.

Hi Steve
    Thanks for your reply. I have tried what you suggested but I still can not connect to the net

Rover45

Check your firewall settings. Try turning the firewall off and see if you can connect.

Can you ping out? Goto Start>Run and in the dialogue box type cmd. In this screen type ping www.ping.com and see if you get a response.

Have you tried both ethernet and wireless?

Hi
    Thank you for your reply, the ping did not work. but the ethernet cable did, but I can on get on with the wireless, please can you help me with this

Rover45

Are either of the other two computers connected wireless?

There should be a reset button somewhere on the wifi router. It is usually a very small microswitch well hidden. If you press this button (sometimes for up to 10 seconds depending on model) it will reset the router to factory defaults but be warned that you will lose all the settings, and you will have to rescan and re-attach all your wireless devices. What make/model of wifi router do you have?

Did you try a wired connection?

What OS are you running?

What wifi encryption are you using? You may need to update the drivers for WPA2. XP requires a patch or SP3.

Yes the other two computers are on wireless, and they are running fine

I have a Belkin router

Yes I have tried a wire connection and this worked

The wifi encryption I am using is WPA

I am Running XP Pro

Rover 45

I am Running XP Pro
    What Service Pack? That makes a difference.

I have a Belkin router
    Please provide specific model numbers. Did you upgrade to the latest firmware? Did you reboot/reset the router?

all the drivers and every thing that was on the disc that came with the laptop.
    Look for updated wifi drivers. Again, you didn't post the model number, so you'll have to search on your own.

Hi every one
    I have now downloaded and install SP3 but I still have the same problem.

Midknyte you asked for the model number to my router well it is Belkin F5D7633-4 Version 1245 UK
    I could not fin this info before that's why I did not post it.

Any way I have noticed that if Explorer is set to work off line I can get my web page up, but that's it because a message comes up saying there is no connection as I am working off line

Any way
    Thanks again
    Rover45

SP3 should have been one of the first things you installed.

Belkin F5D7633-4 is a modem/router.
    http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/hardwa...w&model_id=317

UK? That makes a difference too. What channel are you using? I'd recommend 1, 6, or 11. I know in Europe, you use up to 13, but many devices only work with channels from 1-11.

Double-check the Wifi connection and make sure you put in the right WPA password. Once you connect to the SSID, run ipconfig from a command prompt and see what IP and DNS info you get.

A message in the Wireless little Window that says Connected does not means that you really have a valid functional connection.

If everything above is OK you have to be able to connect to the Wireless Router. (WIFI Hot Spot).

Connecting to the Router means that you can enter the Router's core IP into an address bar of a browser, and be able to connect, see, and configure the Router's menus (the Wireless Router's extended manual should explain how-to).

If it does not connecting to your own Wireless Router, log from any computer that can connect to Wireless Router with a Wire, disable the Wireless Security, make sure that the Wireless broadcast SSID is On, and try to connect with No Wireless security.

Enable the Wireless security after you mange to establish a functional connection.

----------------------------

Many Wireless cards' drivers also install the vendor's Wireless utility.

Make sure that if there is a vendor's Wireless Utility thes Not Running together with the Windows native Wireless utility (WLAN Service) .

----------------

Software Firewall might block the Local traffic to the Network that you are trying to use because it is Not adjusted to the Network Trust Zone.

Make sure that No Firewall is preventing/blocking the Wireless components to get to the Network.

Some 3rd party Software Firewalls keep blocking aspects of Local Traffic even it they are turned Off (disabled).If possible configure the Firewall correctly, otherwise totally uninstall it, and get rid of its residual processes to allow clean flow of local network traffic.

If the 3rd party software is uninstalled or disables, make sure that Windows native Firewall is On .

3rd party Network mangers like Bonjour, and NetMagic can block local traffic too.

---------------------------

If all of the above did not help, do the following.

From an Admin command prompt type ipconfig /all >Desktop\Ipconfig.txt and press Enter.

Open the Ipconfig.txt file with notepad copy and paste its content onto a new post.

Last edited by cat6; 04-24-2011 at 10:55 PM.
    cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.