Thread: USB 3.0 advantages?

USB 3.0 advantages?

What are the advantages of installing a USB 3 PCI card into my XP Pro machine and my Win 7 machine?
    The XP seems to be running just USB 1 as it always tells me new devices can run faster.
    In the UK such cards are about £30 or less. Is it worth it?
    Also, if I do go down that road, will my USB hubs work with the new cards?
    docusk

There is only an advantage of higher data transfer rate if you also have a USB3 drive

If you transfer Many GIGS worth of data all day long-> I'd go for it.

You should google USB 3 and read away.

USB3.0 would be a PCIe card if anything. Old PCI bus wouldn't be able to handle it.

If your XP machine is so old that it only has USB1.0, then it wouldn't have any PCIe slots. The best you could do is a USB2.0 PCI card.

Hi all. Happy Easter.
    Yes the XP pc is very old (like it's owner!) so not going to bother. I don't do much in the way of data transfer so not worth it for the Win 7 either.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Regards to all, docusk

Refurbished Computer.
    Gigabyte EP32-DS3L MOBO; 4Gb SDRAM; Intel EP8200 Core2Duo 2.6 CPU; HIPER PSU; Arctic Cool Freezer7Pro cooler; CD-R/RW; 2 X Western Digital 500 Gb SATA HDD plus Seagate 250 Gb HDD plus usual items. Windows 7 home premium.

newer motherboard they all come with USB3

i've got 2 PC that has USB 3 build in, but so far yet i've not purchased any USB 3 stick to make good use of it.

the main reason, any external HDD or USB stick that supports USB 3 are way too expensive and not worth it, when compared to the same capacity size that are USB 2
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Thanks. That just confirms what I thought. Shan't bother as I doubt I'll ever use it.
    Cheers, docusk
    Refurbished Computer.
    Gigabyte EP32-DS3L MOBO; 4Gb SDRAM; Intel EP8200 Core2Duo 2.6 CPU; HIPER PSU; Arctic Cool Freezer7Pro cooler; CD-R/RW; 2 X Western Digital 500 Gb SATA HDD plus Seagate 250 Gb HDD plus usual items. Windows 7 home premium.

check out this link for interesting USB 3.0 speed info http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-10141810-76.html

Thanks Clock9. Very good
    explanation
    , even for someone my age! I might
    consider
    buying the card as I do use a lot
    of
    USB items and quiet a few downloads.
    docusk
    Refurbished Computer.

USB 3.0 has certain advantages over USB 2.0 which are -
    1) Faster Data Transfer Speed
    2) Lower Power Consumption by the USB Devices
    3) Higher Power Supplied to the USB Devices, especially useful for Portable HDD’s

Hi Shelley.
    I went to my Computer shop to see what they had and they showed me a card but the chap said it will only work in a MOBO that has a slot for a PCLe card. I do have a spare PCI slot but don't know is that's the same. Don't want to spend out only to find it won't work.
    Do I need a new MOBO? If so I'll soldier on with USB 2!
    docusk
    Refurbished Computer.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    PCI and PCI-E slots are as different as night and day.

May be of some help.
    http://www.naplestech.com/shopcart/bus_speeds.asp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

But like you commented on, you need a new motherboard to take advantage of USB 3.0. whether onboard or a add on card.