Thread: Updating AVAST

Updating AVAST

This morning I updated the license on AVAST. Easy process. Fill in the blanks, a couple key strokes and you're done.

The final screen asked me to click on "OK", so I did. I was rewarded with a BSOD.

***STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000F60, 0x0000000D, 0x00000001, 0xBFFB19A1)
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESSOR_EQUAL
    ***Adress BFFB19A1 base at BFFAB000, Datestamp 3e89d599-atapi.sys
    Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group.

So here I am. You all are my technical support group.

What happened? Did something actually happen, or did my system just burp with a bit of indigestion? BTW, the new license was applied to AVAST.

The system is an older AMD cpu running on an older mobo.

no problem here, all my machines are set up to automatically update got both AMD and Intel CPUs mobos combos
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

have you tried to boot in safe mode? If you have, or can make a UBCD you could run some diagnostics.

if safe mode will spark up try removing the av and reloading it.
    Last edited by wardD; 04-20-2011 at 05:10 PM.

It's not that things don't run, or that things are messed up. I'm hoping that the BSOD was a one time event. I haven't rebooted yet--just got back from lunch with my wife and now must leave for work. I've seen nothing adverse other than the BSOD the one time. But, a BSOD always worries me.

AVAST did renew it's license. I checked. It's good for another year. I'm just a bit worried about the BSOD, and whether it might be indicative of something bad on the way.

well thats a good thing, I was thinkin all you got was the bsod.

I did google the stop error, didnt get any definitive answeres, just the ole 3 easy steps to fix(your stop error #),bla bla bla download this program bla bla bla......

anyway if your rig is running, I can only assume it was nothing critical.

cheers, ward

Quote Originally Posted by 4breezes View Post
    It's not that things don't run, or that things are messed up. I'm hoping that the BSOD was a one time event. I haven't rebooted yet--just got back from lunch with my wife and now must leave for work. I've seen nothing adverse other than the BSOD the one time. But, a BSOD always worries me.

AVAST did renew it's license. I checked. It's good for another year. I'm just a bit worried about the BSOD, and whether it might be indicative of something bad on the way.

if you caught the Error Code 0x??????????
    you can Google it on microsoft site, then you will know what was the issue.
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

An AV and Atapi.sys together in a bsod? ... suspicious. I would give the Avast Boot time scan a go.

It will cost you nothing to have it checked.. http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...d.php?t=167915

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketmech View Post
    An AV and Atapi.sys together in a bsod? ... suspicious. I would give the Avast Boot time scan a go.

It will cost you nothing to have it checked.. http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...d.php?t=167915
    I've come to the conclusion that AVAST is probably not an integral part of this problem. I think the timing was purely coincidental.

I had the same BSOD yesterday. I left the computer idle for a bit, went to do something else, and returned to find a BSOD, the same BSOD. I think your suggestion to have Broni check it has great merit. I'll try to start this weekend, though the schedule looks pretty full-- Mother's Day and all.