Thread: Odd Network Issue

Odd Network Issue

I have a Windows 7 laptop that I carry between two offices. Today I visited a remote office and could not copy files. The main office drive is mapped as K:. The branch office is mapped as M:.

While I was at the branch office, I tried to copy files from K: to M: using windows explorer and robocopy. The process would fail with an error that the network name was no longer valid after copying some part of the file. I could perform the copy with small files but not large files (a 200K file was OK but 30megs was not). If I copied from M: to K: the process worked fine (i tested a 184 meg files and a 300 meg file).

I logged into a touchdown computer with Windows XP at the branch office and I could copy files fine. I could copy K to M or M to K in both explorer and using robocopy.

I returned to the main office. I had no more problems copying files on my computer. I could copy from K to M and from M to K.

Are there any ideas why the same laptop would work fine at the main office but fail to copy files when at the branch office?
    -- Mathias

it has to do with the WAN vs. LAN setup as well as the transfer speed of the data packets between the 2 networks.

ideally you would use alternative transfer methods, that will totally ignore the network and use your own alternative.

in my case my favorite is DropBox Click here to get your 2 GB FREE! cloud storage

another alternative is to use CX, which is similar to DropBox, but the software is not as simple to use

both are completely free

there's yet another solution, setup a remote FTP server or some other means of file transfer like this free open source for example http://extplorer.sourceforge.net/
    Last edited by AllGamer; 04-13-2011 at 02:51 PM.
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5