Thread: Slow poweron

Slow poweron

My son called me today to say his desktop will not power on. Used it last night and powered off normally. Tried to power on this morning but no response. The power light glows a dim green but no other indication of life. The PSU fan does NOT come on either.

After several minutes of discussion about the possible problems and when I could come look it suddenly powered up as normal.

I was asssuming the PSU was dead or dieing but I have never seen one come back to life like that.

Should I get him another PSU or is there something else I should look at?

Check for bad caps on the motherboard as well.

http://www.badcaps.net/

i've a feeling it might just be a PSU on its way to the junk jard

specially if the motherboard is fairly recent from the last 5 years, you wouldn't see those old problems with cheap CAPacitors problems

instead i've been seeing a surge on cheap PSU being included in most PCs, including HP & Dell
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Random behaviour is characteristic of failing caps, whether in the PSU or on the mainboard.

I will pop it open and look at the caps the next time I'm at their place. The system is about 4 years old.