Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fatal Error

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post

Did you try installing and uninstalling NWLink?
    Are you meaning that I should install NWLink as in the following KB article?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316019

This is a stand-alone computer. There is no network involved. How would I uninstall NWLink?

Yeah, that link pretty much sums it up.

To uninstall, you'd basically do the same thing but click "Uninstall" instead of "Install" on Step 3.

I'm making good progress here. I've installed the NWLink/IPX/SPX/NetBIOS-Compatible Transport Protocol. I installed it under Local Area Connection 2 (USRobotics Wireless USB Adapter), but it turned up under both that and Local Area Connection 3 (D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev.F) #2).

I now have: 1)NWLink NetBIOS, and 2)MWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol.

I've done two reboots, and have not received any Red X's in Event Viewer. I did, however, receive a warning, a SAP announcement that I had no internal network configured.

So, that's good progress. My system is happier. Next I guess I must uninstall the two services which I've just installed. Now that they're up and running, an uninstall should wipe them out totally, not leave some little part to harass me.

Maybe tomorrow I'll go that next step. I'll let things settle in for a day.

Yeah, that link pretty much sums it up.

To uninstall, you'd basically do the same thing but click "Uninstall" instead of "Install" on Step 3.
    I've now done the uninstall. The two services are gone, as I was hoping they would be. However, I'm now getting a Red X Error telling he that the SAP Agent is unhappy. I can't remember the exact wording.

I'm down to three services now: 1) Client for MS Networks, 2) File and Print Sharing for MS Networks, and 3) Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

There is no mention of SAP Agent. I guess it must be removed, but I'm not sure how. The closest I can come is the following:

SAP Agent Uninstall for NT

But, I really don't like messing with the reistry.

The other choice is to reinstall that which I've just uninstalled. My system was happy enough with it there, even though it was unused and unnecessary.

Suggestions?

Did you try installing and uninstalling SAP the same way?

1. On the desktop, right-click Network Neighborhood, and then click Properties.
    2. In the Network and Dial-up Connections dialog box, right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
    3. In the Local Area Connection Properties dialog box, click Install.
    4. In the Select Network Component Type dialog box, click Service, and then click Add.
    5. In the Select Network Service dialog box, click SAP Agent, and then click OK.
    6. In the Local Area Connection Properties dialog box, click Close.
    7. Close the Network and Dial-up Connections dialog box.

Did you try installing and uninstalling SAP the same way?

Noooooo! It never dawned on me to do that. It's such a parallel treatment process to what you had me do previously, but it never occurred to me.

It worked. I now have only the three services, mentioned earlier. I'll watch for a while, but I think the problem is fixed.

Thank you, sir.