Thread: Laptop won't boot

Laptop won't boot

I have an older Satellite Toshiba 2455-S305. As I hadn't used it for awhile, when I turned it on, I had to reload Norton virus definitions. Then I got a message that Norton failed to load. Decided to reload windows with the Toshiba Recovery CDs.
    First, the recovery CD reformatted the hard drive and it seemed like it was going to load Windows 98. I left the laptop alone while it was reformatting and then later noticed that it looked like the machine was off. When I turned it back on, it looked like it wanted to start the formatting process again. Anyway, I may have incorrectly answered a question or two. Now, all the computer does is give me a Toshiba screen followed by a blinking cursor. When I put the Recovery CD in the drive, I can hear the drive doing something yet all that happens is the blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner. No bios screen. I tried pushing F2 upon startup. All that does is cause the computer to beep at me.
    I tried removing the battery and then restarting. No luck. All I get is the blinking cursor after the Toshiba screen. Biglaker

Got it figured out. I went to Best Buy with the laptop. The Geek Squad guy noticed that when the Toshiba screen came up, underneath there were options to select the boot drive. He changed it to the cd rom and I was able to install Windows from there. Problem solved! Thanks for all who considered helping.
    Biglaker