Thread: Power adapter issue

Ultimate Member

Power adapter issue

What is the probability of damaging a laptop if you plug a Dell 19.5V adapter into a HP 19v laptop??

Ultimate Member
    I sort of got my answer. I obtained a correct power adapter and the computer started up, apparently with no damage.

However, the question remains for future reference. Please advise if you can. Thank you.

You need to look at both voltage and amperage. The voltage should be the same (or very close). The amperage needs to be the same or higher.

However, different vendors use different charger tips, so that would make it a moot point.

Ultimate Member
    The correct voltage for the HP is 18.5 with 3.5 amps. I used a Dell 19.5 volt/6.75 amp power brick. The tips fit but I don't think it made contact internally because it didn't seem to charge.

However, as I said the correct adapter worked. I think I will be more careful from now on. I was worried I may have fried the laptop. Thanks for you comments.

Just because the plug fits, that doesn't mean the polarities are correct. You need to verify that as well.