Thread: Continuous browser loading problem

Continuous browser loading problem

Hey all. I have had a problem loading certain websites for the past week. Just trying to get a lead on what the problem could be.

When browsing certain websites, the loading favicon will stick forever and the website always seem like it's loading, but never finishes.
    Usually in some cases I can click refresh or stop/refresh and the problem will be solved, but that's only 50% of the time.

I can view the certain websites using a proxy and get a full/fast load. Whereas I'm still loading on current browser after 2+ minutes.

The only thing I did to change any system specs, was try and clean up the registry a bit. I'm certain that getting a response from certain
    websites has nothing to do with anything in registry though?

My current browser is firefox. I dished all plugins and reinstalled it to no avail. I didn't think it was a virus of any sort, but I
    ran hijackthis/eset/MSET/Spybot and didn't pull up anything noteworthy . I also ran back my network driver and that didn't do anything.

It's not the browser either, since Ive tried IE/Chrome on multiple versions.

I also ran registry mechanic since I just got it last week. It found around 200+ errors of all sorts. I ran it as administrator as well
    and hasn't mended my problem. I also scanned to make sure all recommended windows services were running.

I did a adapter diagnostics and this came up.
    Modem is a Motorola SB5101. No firewalls are blocking access to anything and I also changed my mac address to get a new IP, for hell of it. Nothing.

Running windows 7 as well.

I also google'd the above "problem" in the screenshot and didn't manage to find anything viable. Only things I found were due to wireless/wifi networks and some old dated things.

I ran hijackthis/eset/MSET/Spybot and didn't pull up anything noteworthy
    Spybot is mediocre at best. Malwarebytes or SuperAntispyware are much better.

The only thing I did to change any system specs, was try and clean up the registry a bit.
    I don't recommend "registry fixers". They usually cause more problems than they solve. Looks like your case is another to add to the list.

Modem is a Motorola SB5101. No firewalls are blocking access to anything and I also changed my mac address to get a new IP, for hell of it. Nothing.
    Your ISP might track MAC addresses, so you shouldn't change it.

Did you try IE or other browsers? Did you delete the Firefox profile and allow FF to recreate it? Uninstalling doesn't remove it.

In XP, C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default

In your screenshot, why is the first DNS server IP so different from the others? Did you verify the DNS IPs with your ISP? Did you try something like Google DNS?
    http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Your ISP might track MAC addresses, so you shouldn't change it.
    I have done it for several years now and never had a problem. I just figured maybe down the line, they may issue a bad batch of addresses, so I got issued a new ip.

Did you try IE or other browsers? Did you delete the Firefox profile and allow FF to recreate it? Uninstalling doesn't remove it.
    I tried IE on multiple versions, as well as chrome. I deleted all mozilla folders in AppData and other files relating to FF. I used CCleaner/BleachBit to try and find some of the remaining FF related things to help with a clean install. I should had mentioned that

In your screenshot, why is the first DNS server IP so different from the others? Did you verify the DNS IPs with your ISP? Did you try something like Google DNS?

I'm not sure why it's like that. I just figure that could be my issue since it is one you pointed out. I never knew much in regards to DNS relating to ISP's, just hosting/online storage. So I will look into the GoogleDNS thing.

Unless there is some way to resolve the DNS thing. Maybe I should bite the bullet and call Cox ?

I just tried googles DNS settings and it's still showing the same error as in the screenshot above. Reset/restarted network/computer as well. Didn't resolve the browser loading problems

Very confused.

edit: Also, restoring to an earlier date is not an option. Since I manually set dates, there wasn't a date prior to this happening.
    Last edited by crxdriver; 02-06-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: bleh

Lifetime Friend of Staff

If it loads fast using a proxy, you would have to suspect an internet routing issue. Open a command prompt and run tracert website.com, where website.com is the site you are trying to load. Generally speaking, each leg of the journey should be under 100 ms (though 150ms is nothing to be concerned about).
    Do the same again when connected through the proxy. This may give you a picture of where it is hanging up.
    Last edited by Ol'Tunzafun; 02-06-2011 at 05:37 PM.

I tried most of the servers from the DSLReports website thread, nothing.

I did the tracert website.com command and nothing was above 100ms. Not quite sure how to run command prompt through a proxy though. I probably should clarify that I used a proxy server and not foxyproxy or any integrated proxy through a browser.

Is there anyway to go back to default windows registry?

I'm even getting hung up and having to refresh on sysopt, when submitting posts/logging in.

I retried openDNS and used the desktop app to make sure that there shouldn't be any hiccups. Still getting the same error which openDNS is fully functional. So it's def not my DNS settings/#.

So I tried to just reinstall windows and it's not giving me an option to partition my current files. Anyone know of a 3rd party software that will do this? The only option I have for backing up things is a 40gb HD and I need to keep around 180gb on my current drive. I never done this before outside of a windows install, I take it that it only gives the option for upgrades?

I will only use my 40gb as a primary windows drive, if I can't do the above. It's a old quantum fireball HD and it's very loud. Something that would drive someone insane after a while.

http://www.partition-tool.com/ , free partition tool.

There is a difference in the setup between XP and Windows 7, which are you using?

I'm using windows 7. I am backing up my most important documents in my 40gb drive as well as my 2gb flash drive.

I will just try and install windows normally since it states that old documents/etc would be placed in a windows.old folder, so I will put my luck into that, for the other stuff I couldn't backup.

I'll check out the partition tool and see if I can place certain files into a new location, that's if it's not that complicated for an idiot like me .
    Last edited by crxdriver; 02-07-2011 at 12:05 AM.

I just got done reinstalling a fresh copy of windows and I don't have the loading problem anymore. I still have the same error from the screenshot above, but everything seems to be back to normal.