Thread: Battery

Unhappy Battery

Hello,
    I have a battery that is about 5 years old in my PC. I usually turn it (PC) off but leave the PC plugged in, should I worry about my battery running low? Is there any way to tell when it might need replacing? Thanks for help. --Nova

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Replacements do not cost much. 5 years, you are luckier than I am.

Train, you wouldn't have an extra battery around, would you ? lol...

Nova,
    If you keep the pc plugged in to the wall outlet, the battery will last longer, but you will need to change it eventually. When the pc starts forgetting what time it is... the battery is gettin low. If it gets too low the pc forgets who he or she is. See ? nothing to really worry about, if you change the battery afterward.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    No extra batteries at the present time.

Need to make a run.

Cool Battery

Thanks. So, do I need to know exactly what kind of battery to buy? and can I do it myself? Or do I need to call someone? It's a Toshiba, but I cant recall what else about it. Also, I want to upgrade my CPU from AMD Athlon XP 1.25 GB to a 2. 0 GB CPU same name. Can I do It myself? It looks like the heatsink is stuck to the old one, with little silver hinge-like things stuck to the top and bottom. Can I remove it and put it on the new CPU? Or do I need to order a CPU with its own heatsink stuck to it? Thanks for any info.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Is this a laptop?

Oh, sorry, it is a PC.

If you mean a coin battery, it's probably a CR2032. The number is right on the top.

The heatsink may be connect with thermal tape, but it should be removable. You really need to check the specs of your motherboard and cpu before even attempting an upgrade.

Smile Battery

Thanks so much for the help! I did take the PC to the KNT store and the fellow there looked at it, I bought a battery, same number as above, and he also put in a new faster CPU that works perfectly with my mobo. Thanks so much for your time and help. Next time I will try to remember to list my mobo and parts names also. Happy New Year.

Smile MOBO Battery and Boot problems

I spent quite a number of hours troubleshooting my old Dell Dimension 4550 as it froze, and upon power down/power up it refused to do anything (no beeps or other noises); and my display told me NO SIGNAL. Spent 45 minutes with Dell Support Chat, who in the end said the motherboard is obviously bad and referred me to the sales department so I could buy a new computer. Asked my son, and searched online for a different solution, and in the end, tried to boot with the MOBO battery removed. Voila, the system responded and eventually successfully loaded the operating system. Moral of the story... If you have an old system, haven't changed the battery, and it goes wacko, change the battery!!