Thread: odd LAN glitch after switching from cable to DSL

odd LAN glitch after switching from cable to DSL

I just switched from cable to DSL. I have a combo modem/router. All seems good after the transition except for one very odd glitch...

From Windows Explorer, I have no problem opening or navigating to My Network Places and drilling down to any shared folder on the network. However, if I attempt to back up to the My Network Places level (using Back button or Up button), the Explorer window locks up and I have to use Task Manager to kill the process. This happens from my desktop as well as from my laptop, and it doesn't matter if the shared folder is local or on the other computer.

I have a feeling I would hit a brick wall if I rely on my DSL provider's tech support for this. Hopefully some of you smart folks can help me figure out what went wrong.
    ASUS A8V Deluxe | AMD Opteron 185 | Hyper 6+ cooler | 4GB OCZ Platinum | NVidia 7600GS 512MB | modded Evercase LE4252 | Seasonic S12-II-330 | Barracuda 7200.10 250GB HDD | Plextor 740a | WinXP SP3

I do not know how every thing is configured.

However, since you changed Router the computers probably have a different IP scheme.

Try to undo Boot and redo the Sharing.

cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.

Quote Originally Posted by cat6 View Post
    Try to undo Boot and redo the Sharing..
    Thanks for your response. I deleted all the shares on both computers (I had accumulated a bunch) and re-created the ones I use most. But I'm not sure what you mean by 'undo Boot'... please elaborate.

Here's what I've tried so far. I'm able to access the shares from My Network Places as well as the Start/Run menu, but the Explorer Window still locks up when I attempt to back up to the Entire Network level. This happens on both computers. Since the Actiontech icons (there are two) are listed at the Entire Network level, and they are the only new items on that screen, I strongly suspect the modem/router is causing the problem. What's weird is why there's usuallyno issue when I first open My Network Places, but it always locks when I return to that level using either the Back or the Up button.

I also tried disconnecting the modem/router and connecting the two computers via an Ethernet cable. The problem went away. I also fired up my old router (with the Actiontech turned off) and the problem went away.

The solution may be to configure the Actiontech for bridge mode and continue to use my old router, but I'd need some hand-holding to set that up. In any case, that would defeat the purpose of getting a combination modem/router.
    ASUS A8V Deluxe | AMD Opteron 185 | Hyper 6+ cooler | 4GB OCZ Platinum | NVidia 7600GS 512MB | modded Evercase LE4252 | Seasonic S12-II-330 | Barracuda 7200.10 250GB HDD | Plextor 740a | WinXP SP3

Just as a followup, I successfully configured my modem for bridge mode so I can continue to use my WRT54GL router. This resolved the problem, so I decided to throw in the towel and declare victory.