Thread: Default NIC

Default NIC

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to set my PC to default to a specific NIC.

I have a PC running Win XP SP3. I have 2 NIC Cards, one dedicated to hosting two websites - on a public IP address and the other on a private IP address connected to my home network. The home network also has internet access via a cable router.

I have two cable modems, one dedicated to my web server side and the other for home use. The one dedicated to my web server side has a higher bandwidth allocation, 40meg D/L and 5meg U/L, the other for home use has 10meg D/L and 1.5 U/L. I use KFWS as my web server application.

When I boot this PC it almost always defaults to the NIC on the private IP address. As I use this PC as a client as well as a web server I would like it to default to the NIC on the public address. I need the other NIC so that my other PC's can access the printers attached to this PC only.

I can force the system to use the desired NIC by disabling the other NIC, re-booting and when the system has fully loaded, re-enabling the NIC, however this is a nuisance as my system is set to automatically update, which often causes an automatic re-start, at which point the system defaults to the home network.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Michael

This page was written for a Wire - Wireless situation. But it does not matter it applies to any multiple NICs scheme.

http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html

cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.

Quote Originally Posted by cat6 View Post
    This page was written for a Wire - Wireless situation. But it does not matter it applies to any multiple NICs scheme.

http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html

Many thanks cat6. Works like a charm :-)

Michael