Need Some Help w/Video Card Upgrade

The System:
    Gigabyte GA-7VT600P-RZ mainboard
    AMD Sempron 2600+ (1.833) CPU
    Crucial DDR PC3200 2.5 gb ram
    PowerColor Radeon 9250 8x AGP 128mb (DirectX 8)Video Card
    Enlight Case w/300w ps

The Problem:
    This is my friend system and he had been experiencing a lot of problems with Windows XP. He needed to reformat his system so I suggested to upgrade to Windows 7. Did a compatibilty test and found the VC was compatible, but probably would not run Aero. This was acceptable. Did the upgrade and the system runs as well as anticipated w/aero disabled, with one exception. When he goes to play a card game like solitaire he can't drag and drop cards. He also gets a message that he needs to turn on Hardware acceleration (which it is). After some probing we discovered that we needed DirectX 9 or better. Decided to upgrade the VC. Purchased a PowerColorRadeon HD 3450 (512mb) VC. Now the fun begins. Started by trying to install the Drivers and CCC on the supplied disk. System too unstable w/freeze-ups. Went to Powercolor website and downloaded latest drivers. Actually performed worse. Went to AMD/ATI website and downloaded hotfix drivers. Still a no go. Unless somebody knows somethink I don't at this point, I wm going to RMA the card to NewEgg.
    Does anyone have a suggestion for another cheap card (maybe NVIDIA?) that would be good for this system? He only uses email, surfs the web, plays board games like solitaire and sudoku, or views pics sent to him by his family. Thanks for any suggestions.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Did you uninstall the nvidia drivers before shutting down and installing the ATI card.?

If not get drive sweep and clean up
    http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Go to ATI and get the latest drivers, if those cause problems try older versions until you get the right one. Burn that one to cd for against future need.

By the way, Nvidia has the older drivers too. And sometimes, the latest cause all kind of problems. Latest may not be the greatest !

Always uninstalled drivers before installing replacement drivers. Used Advanced System Care uninstall utility which has a powersweep to search out all instances of possible driver related files.

Lifetime Friend of Staff