Thread: Unknown executable, is that a virus?

Question Unknown executable, is that a virus?

This is from one of the Windows XP pc of a few users I am supporting. There is a pop up message displaying once every few minutes or so. After hitting the close button, it closes but a few minutes later it pops up again.

The title of the dialog box is "igfxdsp64.exe". The body of the message reads:
    "igfxdsp64.exe" has encountered a problem and need to close. We are sorry for the inconvience". And then a line, beneath it reads: "if you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost." And then a button with text 'close'.

I google through the internet, nothing can match the word igfxdsp64.exe.

I open up the task manager and locate the process igfxdsp64.exe. I try to close it from the task manager but it won't close.

I log-off the user, log-on my account (which is a domain administrator and a pc administrator of the problematic pc) instead. The process 'igfxdsp64.exe' is not running at all. Therefore with my logon there is no such problem.

The pc runs McAfee with the latest Antivirus updates. Scanning the hard disk yields nothing.

I delete the profile of the user. Re-logon the pc again with the 'bad' account. There is no other programs being started. The program start menu shows nothing, therefore I assume no other user applications has ever started. But then I examine the process running using task manager and still find igfxdsp64.exe running. And obviously the problem remains.

1) What is the problem? 2) Is there something I can do other than having a disk cleanup and Windows re-install?

Thanks for reading.

Sure sounds like a virus. SHould download Malwarebytes and scan away in safe mode.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Sure sounds like a virus. SHould download Malwarebytes and scan away in safe mode.
    Thank you for suggesting. I've just run Malwarebytes (though not in safe mode), it fails to detect anything. Can you or someone recommend a stronger or more powerful tool? Thanks.

igfxdsp64.exe sounds like Intel graphics (Ex. igfxtray.exe, igfxpers.exe).

Do you have integrated Intel video on your motherboard? Did you try reloading the video drivers?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    igfxdsp64.exe sounds like Intel graphics (Ex. igfxtray.exe, igfxpers.exe).

Do you have integrated Intel video on your motherboard? Did you try reloading the video drivers?
    There is at least one other identical Lenovo Desktop with the same configuration, both having the Q965/Q963 Intel Express Chipset. When it has no problems, the task manager only shows the last two processes mentioned: igfxtray.exe, igfxpers.exe. When the user logon with a specific account on the problem pc, the process igfxdsp64.exe runs as soon as I have the first chance to start task manager but the process never wants to disappear. That means you can't end the process using task manager, even your account has admin rights.

If I logon the problematic PC with any other Windows account, the process igfxdsp64.exe has not showed up at all.

I really like to find out the root cause but if there isn't any solution, the disk has to be re-imaged.
    Last edited by jfchui; 12-07-2010 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Adding the word Intel.

igfxtray.exe is a process which allows you to access the Intel Graphics configuration and diagnostic application for the Intel 810 series graphics chipset. This program is a non-essential system process, and is installed for ease of use via the desktop tray.
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/...rary/igfxtray/

Maybe the second pc doesn't have the app installed.

If I logon the problematic PC with any other Windows account, the process igfxdsp64.exe has not showed up at all.
    That is really strange. What's so special about that particular account? DSP usually refers to some kind of audio/communication.

These online malware file scanners may help shed some light on what is :

http://www.virustotal.com/
    http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus