Thread: Wireless Frustrations

Question Wireless Frustrations

Hello, long time..
    I figured I'd post a question since I'm at witts end right now. I just bought a new Asus G73J notebook, and it came with a cruddy Artheros wifi card that I was able to connect at it's maximum rate of 150mbps. So I decided to purchase an intel 6300 ultimate off ebay. So installed it with updated drivers. so tried connecting to my wrt600n via 5ghz, and i was barely able to get over 6mbps unless I was right next to it and I would get close to 170mbps. Which I thought "ok, time to purchase that 3rd antenna). so while I waited, I tried connecting to my wrt600n's 2.4ghz band, same thing, ver low and fluctuating speeds, so then I tried connecting to my Netgear WNDR3700 via 2.4ghz and I can't get over 54mbps, So just ofr kicks I tried the netgears 5ghz connection, which gave me the same results as the linksys.... Now before you ask me about my routers settings, I have them set very nicely. As my Gateway P-6860 which I upgraded its' wifi when I bought it to an intel 5300, I get 150-270mbps on either 2.4gz networks, and 120-30mbps on either 5ghz network...
    My only thought is maybe the wifi card I got is defective, an ES, or fake.?
    any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Lenovo y700-15acz
    MSI GT80S 6QF

Which driver version are you using? The automatic update does not always succeed in getting the latest version. You may have to go directly to intel to get it.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...0+ultimate%22#

There are 4 versions available. If the newest is not working for you, try an older one.

Windows at time cam claim thta its drivers are the latest and will not really updates.

Try to install the latest drivers of the card from the support page of the manufacturer.

Download the drivers and unpack them to a folder of your choice.

In the Device manger, right click on the adapter.

Click on Update Drivers, and choose the Browse my computer for drivers,

Choose let me pick from a list, Click on Have a Disk and point to the folder with the Drivers.

When done make sure that the vendors Wireless Utilities was installed as well and two Wireless manager work at the same time.

5GHz as only advantage when there is a noisy signal environment.

Other wise the 2.4GHz is stronger.

cat6
    MS - MVP, Networking.

Yup, I installed the latest drivers at the get-go.
    Lenovo y700-15acz
    MSI GT80S 6QF