Thread: Google Update

Google Update

I'm getting an occasional error message which I need help translating. It pops up about once a day, maybe less. I haven't seen any pattern. I've been seeing it for a week or two.

The error message:

GoogleUpdate.exe---Entry Point not found
    The procedure entry point RtlCaptureContext could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

I'm running W2K on an old AMD system.

Admin Tools->Services->Google Updates.....see if its there and if so - stop it and set it to manual.

http://www.ghacks.net/2008/12/28/googleupdateexe/

It just means you have to manually update Picasa or whatever Google app. You could always try uninstalling the Google app, then reinstalling. It could also be a problem with your firewall software, if you have any.

Thank you, sir. It was indeed set to automatic. It's now set on manual. So far as I know it's been on automatic forever. Why has it just become an issue? What will I lose by having it on manual?

The app will not automatically check for updates.

I received the same error message this morning when I booted the system.

Google Updates is indeed set to manual. I checked after receiving the message. There must be another cause for this problem. Any thoughts?

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Disable it. But that may not work either. So they list some things to try at

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...e5643889&hl=en

I know I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post

I know I am.
    I've taken this next step, and disabled Google Update. Did it as soon as I read the suggestion. Thus far it has worked. I have not had another instance of the pop-up, not yet.

Many thanks for the help.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    I followed the instructions and got rid of it.

Sure speeded me up.

I've found that I have two instances of Google Update in the Services area. Both are disabled. I'm still getting random occurrences of the same error message. This is getting just a bit annoying.

Train, thanks for the link. I'll start going through the various solutions and applying them. This may take me a bit of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post

I know I am.
    Working on it this weekend. I think I'm making progress. I disabled all the update services I could find, as mentioned above. I've followed the instructions and suggestions as shown in the above referenced thread. The exception is the fact that I do not want to mess with the registry. I'm not familiar enough with it, and I really screwed it up the only previous time I did anything there.

I disabled updates last night, and thus far have not had the pop-up error message appear. I'll give it more time, do nothing further at the moment, see how it fairs.

Thanks for the link.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Hope that does the trick!

I just uninstall it as soon as I have the desired program in place.

It will be a week today since I last had the error message appear. I think I've got this one beat--fingers crossed.

In addition to the actions mentioned above, I deleted GoogleEarth and Picassa. I very seldom used GoogleEarth, and I much prefer Photoscape for my images. Neither is a program I will miss.

I greatly appreciate the help on this problem. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Glad to hear it is now sorted.