Thread: does DVD Region affect CD ROM compatibility?

does DVD Region affect CD ROM compatibility?

About the only time I use my computer's DVD recorder is to read CD ROMs. However, I just purchased a region 2 DVD which will not play on my stand-alone DVD player, so I plan to watch it on my computer.

I have two newbie questions regarding the limitation on region changes:

1) if I change from region 1 to region 2, will this affect reading and writing CD ROM's?

2) the help for the DVD region tab (device manager properties) indicates the region can only be changed 5 times. However, the region tab says I have 4 changes remaining. Since I purchased the drive used, I thought perhaps the previous owner made a change. (Surely the initial setup doesn't count against the 5 changes allowed?). Out of curiosity, I checked my wife's laptop DVD player, and it also only has 4 changes remaining, and we purchased it new. Did I get cheated out of one change on both drives?
    ASUS A8V Deluxe | AMD Opteron 185 | Hyper 6+ cooler | 4GB OCZ Platinum | NVidia 7600GS 512MB | modded Evercase LE4252 | Seasonic S12-II-330 | Barracuda 7200.10 250GB HDD | Plextor 740a | WinXP SP3

Setting a region counted against the five...so No - you didn't get cheated.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Setting a region counted against the five...so No - you didn't get cheated.
    Thanks for clarifying. I guess I had a different idea as to what the word 'change' means
    ASUS A8V Deluxe | AMD Opteron 185 | Hyper 6+ cooler | 4GB OCZ Platinum | NVidia 7600GS 512MB | modded Evercase LE4252 | Seasonic S12-II-330 | Barracuda 7200.10 250GB HDD | Plextor 740a | WinXP SP3

Usually backup software offers to set the region code , sometimes as free. I use DVDFab now , but I remember DVDShrink free worked the same. I would think that if you use compatible media for your entertainment center dvd player the backup should work fine.