Thread: Virgin Mobil error 1720

Ultimate Member

Virgin Mobil error 1720

I am trying to install a Virgin Mobil MC720 USB Novatel wireless receiver to a laptop running VVista Home Premium SP2. I keep getting error 1720 "A script required for this install to complete could not run .Contact your support personnel or package vendor.Custom action SetlnstallDrivers32Var script error -2147024770,:Line 9,Column "

I have uninstelled the drivers and Novatel folder in Program Files and every other trick suggest in 2 days of searching. You guys are the best. Any ideas??

You could try installing the latest service pack, but you may also fix that by re-registering whichever scripting engine is being called - probably the Windows engine,

From the Run box or elevated command prompt, run

regsvr32 wscript

You may also try

regsvr32 vbscript

and

regsvr32 jscript

Is it a 64 bit system?

Ultimate Member
    This is a 32 bit system.

I did run regsvr32 vbscript and regsvr32 jscript and both seemed to register.

The regsvr32 wscript DID NOT! "The specified module could not be found".

There may be a service pack later than SP2. I will find and load next.

Thanks for your advice.

Ultimate Member
    I am looking for a Vista SP3 but unable to find it (if it exists). SP2 is already installed.

Ultimate Member
    This link addresses the problem.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...8-395911e13146

Basically, you need the very latest Windows Installer Utility

Ultimate Member
    Therein lies the problem. When I install
    Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x86.msu

I get the error message "The update does not apply to your system". I have no idea why.

Ultimate Member
    First uninstall the existing Windows Installer.
    Next run the Windows Installer Clean up Utility
    Now install the latest Windows Installer
    See if it works .. you may need to register the files as below:

Windows Installer is a Microsoft service that is responsible for installing software as well as uninstalling them. If the windows installer service is stopped/damaged you will get an error message saying, “Windows Installer Error 1720 / 1722,” every time you try to install or uninstall a certain software.
    All you need to do is re-register the windows installer service and everything is fixed. So you might want to try this:
    1. Click on the start menu and type in “Msiexec /unregister“ in the search box.
    2. Do the same thing with this command “Msiexec /regserver“

Quote Originally Posted by jmhcs View Post
    I am looking for a Vista SP3 but unable to find it (if it exists). SP2 is already installed.
    Yeah, I should have noticed that you already had SP2.
    Antivirus apps really like to block scripts. Norton goes as far as replacing some of Windows scripting files with its own versions. Do you have more than one copy of wshom.ocx on that machine? If so, you might try unregistering one and re-registering the one in System32. (You will have to include the paths in these commands.) Have you tried disabling real time virus protection? Is Active X being regulated by some other well meaning software?
    If that Vista machine is still running IE7. you might try installing IE8 as Windows Scripting Host usually gets installed with IE. It might just reset scripting to its default settings.
    Last edited by Ol'Tunzafun; 10-01-2010 at 12:49 AM.

Ultimate Member
    You may want to take me by the hand here. I simply cannot find any way to uninstall the current Windows Installer so I can continue with other instructions. None of my seaches say how to do this. Pleas help further. Thank you.

The more I think about it, the more I think this might be a permissions problem. This is, after all, Vista. Try disabling UAC and then try running the installation file by right-clicking on the Setup file and "Run as administrator".
    Does the setup file have an .exe or .msi extension?

Last edited by Ol'Tunzafun; 10-03-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Ultimate Member
    Reloaded Windows Vista Home Premium. Everything works now. Should have done it from the start but thought it wasn't necessary. Still have no clue as to why it did not load in the first place.

Sometimes the longest solutions turn out to be the shortest. Thus is the nature of the beast!

Thanks for everyone's comments.